[comp.graphics] informal survey

hevesh_c@apollo.HP.COM (Cathy Hevesh) (05/08/90)

Hi,

  I'd like to conduct a little informal survey to
find out how popular and viable a package PHIGS is
for all you application programmers out there who
write graphics applications.

  It has always been my belief that solution
suppliers demand standards and prefer to
base their own software on standard platforms.
It has recently been suggested to me that this
is currently not necessarily the case and that
there is a lot of resistance to using and/or
porting to PHIGS for graphics applications.
Is this true and if so, why?

  Thanks for your input.
  -Cathy Hevesh

dud@Alliant.COM (W.A."Dudley" Gaman) (05/09/90)

In article <4a45a410.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> hevesh_c@apollo.HP.COM (Cathy Hevesh) writes:

>there is a lot of resistance to using and/or
>porting to PHIGS for graphics applications.
>Is this true and if so, why?

There is usually resistance to change, however PHIGS has been selected as
the 3-D extention to X (PEX) and as the parallel graphics library in the
Intel/Alliant i860-based Parallel Architecture eXtended (PAX) standard.
While it is hard to create a graphics library which will suit everyone's
needs, and while standards tend to fall somewhat behind the technology
curve, PHIGS (and PHIGS+) can handle the requirements of a large number
of users.  Add this to the benefits of preservation of software investment
(ie. it can be ported to other PHIGS platforms without changing source code)
and high-performance available in systems which use PHIGS as their native
instruction set and, IMHO, you have a package which is here to stay for a
while.  In my experience (sales support) I am seeing more situations in
which PHIGS is a requirement.

dud
.

kauel@mentor.com (Kendall Auel) (05/10/90)

Re: PHIGS

Any graphics library must have two important features in
order to be accepted by the user community:

o Functionality
o Performance

An important thing to keep in mind is that a well-designed application
is 90% independent of any particular graphics library or standard.
In other words, the low-level graphics routines are only called by
a graphics interface layer within the application.  Thus, standardization
of the underlying graphics library is not a benfit to the majority of
the application.  The virtue of being a "standard" does not help PHIGS
if functionality and performance are not superior to other options.
(PHIGS is not truly standardized, anyway, since there is no guarantee
of even source-level compatibility.)

PEX does a good job of addressing a lot of problems with PHIGS.  First,
it is a window-based interface.  Second, it allows for immediate-mode
rendering.  These help alleviate concerns with functionality.  But
what about performance?  X-Windows is not necessarily known for being
lightning-fast, and PEX suffers from the same reputation.  I have
seen some demos of PEX on high-end (read:expensive) workstations that
are highly interactive.  This should improve over time.  For applications
which have already decided to use the X-Windows system, PEX looks
very attractive (especially considering the alternatives -- are there
any?)  Right now though, I don't think many 3D applications will
decide to port to X just so that they can use PEX.  The best hope
for PEX is that X-Windows and Motif become the industry standards.

These opinions are not necessarily those of MGC
--
Kendall Auel       |   Mentor Graphics Corporation  |  Ich bin ein Berliner
kauel@mentor.com   |   Silicon Design Division      |  "I am a pastry"