[comp.graphics] Hologram.

laucy@warwick.ac.uk (TS Wong) (05/03/90)

Is there anyone have experience of direct computer generate hologram?
The idea is to use a computer to generate the interference pattern
and then use photographic technique to resize the interference
pattern.

Any relevant materials about this topic will be wellcome.
Thanx.

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (05/03/90)

In article <511@lily.warwick.ac.uk+ laucy@warwick.ac.uk (TS Wong) writes:
+Is there anyone have experience of direct computer generate hologram?
+The idea is to use a computer to generate the interference pattern
+and then use photographic technique to resize the interference
+pattern.

See early 1990 (Feb?) issue of "Computing in Physics" for an article
exactly on that subject.

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (05/05/90)

In article <511@lily.warwick.ac.uk>, laucy@warwick.ac.uk (TS Wong) writes:
> Is there anyone have experience of direct computer generate hologram?
> The idea is to use a computer to generate the interference pattern
> and then use photographic technique to resize the interference
> pattern.

No DIRECT experience, but I did THINK of this same idea a while back and
ask the folks I work with about it.  My company, Light Valve Technology,
makes a Digital Image Recorder capable of laying down continuous-tone
exposures at up to 1016 lines/inch, and I wondered if this was sufficient
to create holograms.  Apparently, though, one would need much higher reso-
lution to do this with our type of equipment.

On the other hand, perhaps with other (most likely laser) output tech-
nology you should be able to do it.  I would think the calculations for
determining the interference patterns would be the only hard part, IF
you have equipment capable of laying down the results onto film.  Do
you have an output device in mind?

> Any relevant materials about this topic will be wellcome.
> Thanx.

I'd like to hear more about this, too, so that I can try it myself.  I've
got access to lots of technology including our Image Recorder AND a bunch
of old laser equipment!

Chris Chiesa
  usually posting from (and send your e-mail replies to)
     Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (05/05/90)

In article <11165@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
>In article <511@lily.warwick.ac.uk>, laucy@warwick.ac.uk (TS Wong) writes:
>> Is there anyone have experience of direct computer generate hologram?
>> The idea is to use a computer to generate the interference pattern
>> and then use photographic technique to resize the interference
>> pattern.
>
>No DIRECT experience, but I did THINK of this same idea a while back and
>ask the folks I work with about it.  My company, Light Valve Technology,
>makes a Digital Image Recorder capable of laying down continuous-tone
>exposures at up to 1016 lines/inch, and I wondered if this was sufficient
>to create holograms.  Apparently, though, one would need much higher reso-
>lution to do this with our type of equipment.
>
>On the other hand, perhaps with other (most likely laser) output tech-
>nology you should be able to do it.  I would think the calculations for
>determining the interference patterns would be the only hard part, IF
>you have equipment capable of laying down the results onto film.  Do
>you have an output device in mind?
>

>> Any relevant materials about this topic will be wellcome.
>> Thanx.
>
>I'd like to hear more about this, too, so that I can try it myself.  I've
>got access to lots of technology including our Image Recorder AND a bunch
>of old laser equipment!

At 1000 lines per inch you could indeed generate a hologram. But
it would be like looking through a pipe an inch in diameter and
a foot long. You need at least 15000 lines per inch, preferably 50000,
for a nice wide window.

Doug McDonald

wilcox@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Patricia P Wilcox) (05/07/90)

In article <1990May5.144845.26503@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>At 1000 lines per inch you could indeed generate a hologram. But
>it would be like looking through a pipe an inch in diameter and
>a foot long. You need at least 15000 lines per inch, preferably 50000,
>for a nice wide window.

It's easy!  Just generate your hologram at 1000 lines per inch and about
50 times the size of the desired final product -- then photo-reduce it to
film with a high-quality camera.  A printer's copy camera would probably
work fine (find a printer who specializes in large maps).

--Pat Wilcox   (wilcox@cis.ohio-state.edu)

newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) (05/25/90)

In article <7003@blake.acs.washington.edu> wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Lewis) writes:
>In article <511@lily.warwick.ac.uk> laucy@warwick.ac.uk (TS Wong) writes:
>>Is there anyone have experience of direct computer generate hologram?
>>The idea is to use a computer to generate the interference pattern
>>and then use photographic technique to resize the interference
>>pattern.
>>
>>Any relevant materials about this topic will be wellcome.
>
>  There was an article in the April-May 1990 issue of Circuit Cellar

there is a simular article in the transactor (a commodore tech journal)
jan. 88 (vol 8 iss 4).  the author also took a 2 dimensional picture and
generated a diffraction grating for the image.  the output was done on a
standard pdot matrix (well, standard for home use, not anything fancy)
printer and then had it photographically reduced. the picture of the results
looks quite cler. if it where text it would be easily readable. the author
even digitized the output and compared it with the input. quite a good match
.  the original wasnt so big, though. just 32 by 32 pixels.  the output was
reduced aprox. 100 times (originally 15 cm^2). the author gives pictures,
his address, a program and the address of where to get it reduced (a
 microfiching company)
         hope this helps u in your quest.....
                            -Tim Newsham