[comp.graphics] Request for 'DVI' info...

rjj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (rjj) (05/25/90)

I recently heard mention of a new video technology called
'DVI' Digital Video Interactive.  I think that IBM and
Intel may be involved but I'm not sure.  If anyone has
any information that they could share, I would apprecitate
hearing about it.

Rich Jaenson
Dept. of Mathematics
Cornell University
rjj@mssun7.msi.cornell.edu

ksakotai@hawk.ulowell.edu (Krishnan "krish" Sakotai) (05/29/90)

In article <10318@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> rjj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (rjj) writes:
>I recently heard mention of a new video technology called
>'DVI' Digital Video Interactive.  I think that IBM and
>Intel may be involved but I'm not sure.  If anyone has
>any information that they could share, I would apprecitate
>hearing about it.

DVI as a technology has been in the works for over 2 years at the RCA
laboratories in Princeton, NJ. The operations at RCA labs were bought by
Intel about an year back. The essence of DVI lies in the ability to compress
multimedia information( live video, sound, text, 3D graphics etc) together
and store them in a logical sequence onto a high capacity storage device
like CD-ROM. However, the beauty of DVI lies in real-time decompression of
the compressed data for playback.

IBM and Intel are indeed working together to bring DVI capability to the
PS/2 machine. DVI technology should be commercially available soon in the
form of board sets, that are "pluggable" into the PS/2 and PC/AT machines.

For more info on DVI you might want to refer to the following :

1) Communications of ACM, SIGGRAPH '89 special issue.

2) DIGITAL VIDEO IN A PC ENVIRONMENT  by A.C.Luther.(I do not recall the
                                                     name of the
						     publishers).