[comp.graphics] the essence of Atkinson's regions patent

uad1077@dircon.uucp (05/25/90)

>> <Discussion to the effect that you can't reverse engineer the Mac Toolbox
>> without breaking the patent because the Toolbox uses regions internally.
>> ....>

Ahem.  PostScript has regions.  Cedar had regions.  NeWS has regions.
OpenWindows has regions.  There were public domain implementations of
regions in the last two years' SIGGRAPH course notes.

The point about Atkinson's patent (from what I've seen go past in this
discussion) is that he has the second most compact representation (after
PostScript) for most cases.  On the other hand, this may mean that his
patent suffers from being the second slowest at the usual region operations.

I think it's just that if you do write implement regions, there are more
interesting (but possibly less lucrative!) things to do with it than
reverse engineer a Mac.
--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

rjg@nosun.UUCP (Richard Greco) (05/25/90)

In article <30128@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>A couple years ago, I wrote a short article for the BMUG newsletter about
>the significance of the Atkinson patent on regions, and the small set of
>efficient operations you can do on regions.  At the time, I said the patent
>would allow Apple to prevent a Mac clone from appearing, irrespective
>of any silly copyright claims about look and feel.

Actually it is even easier then this.  While Atkinson's patent covers one way
of dealing with regions, there are several other methods of representing
regions that do not violate the patent, yet are still compact and efficient
enough to implement on small microprocessors.

The most notable of these is the one James Gosling developed for NeWS using
a set of (x,y) sorted rectangles to represent the region.  Although James
never published this, Nola Donato and Robert Rocchetti of Sun presented
a rework of James' algorithms at Usenix in 1988.

The ideas in this paper were reworked and included as part of the course
notes for "Introduction to Window Management" which was presented at Siggraph
89 and will be presented again this year at Siggraph 90.  The Siggraph 88
course notes for "Introduction to Window Management" contain a reprint
of the Donato and Rocchetti paper.

The Siggraph 89 course notes are the source referenced by the forthcoming
second edition of Foley and Van Dam which uses this algorithm for regions
in the raster sections of the book.

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (05/29/90)

In article <1990May24.184352.29786@dircon.uucp>, uad1077@dircon.uucp writes:
> The point about Atkinson's patent (from what I've seen go past in this
> discussion) is that he has the second most compact representation (after
> PostScript) for most cases.  On the other hand, this may mean that his
> patent suffers from being the second slowest at the usual region operations.

Atkinson regions seem to be marginally better at handling extremely irregular
regions, especially in low-memory environments.  PostScript regions seem
marginally better at handling regions with a fair amount of area
coherence (such as font glyphs or "normal" clipping paths).  For mainly
rectangular regions (For doing "normal" window operations), they seem to
be about neck-and-neck.

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation
--

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (05/30/90)

uad1077@dircon.uucp writes:

>>> <Discussion to the effect that you can't reverse engineer the Mac Toolbox
>>> without breaking the patent because the Toolbox uses regions internally.
>>> ....>

>I think it's just that if you do write implement regions, there are more
>interesting (but possibly less lucrative!) things to do with it than
>reverse engineer a Mac.
>--

	Question: how do the new graphics accelerators (from Supermac,
	among others) get around this?  Dont they have to deal with
	Atkinson's implementation of regions to be compatible with
	Quickdraw calls?

>Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
>18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP
>Biggleswade                       ukc!dircon!uad1077
>Beds SG18 8HZ United Kingdom
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas             {harvard,utah-cs,gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!hunter

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (05/30/90)

In article <3349@cerberus.oakhill.UUCP>, hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales)
writes:
> 	Question: how do the new graphics accelerators (from Supermac,
> 	among others) get around this?  Dont they have to deal with
> 	Atkinson's implementation of regions to be compatible with
> 	Quickdraw calls?

Most of them don't replace QuickDraw lock, stock, and barrel, but only
replace certain speed-critical common cases (bitblting rectangular regions
around, scrolling a rectangle, filling a rectangle, etc.).  Also, since
these boards end up sitting in a Mac and require QuickDraw to already be
there anyway, I imagine that Apple doesn't get too annoyed even if the
accelerator code does peek into regions...

--
Amanda Walker