[comp.graphics] Plot-3D/GAS ?

pln@sage1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Pat Nolan) (06/02/90)

The May/June 1990 issue of Computers in Physics has an article by Robert
S. Wolff titled "Visualization 101: A Tour Guide of Basic Concepts."
At the end of the article there is an Author's Note which says,
   "Plot-3D/GAS was developed by Sterling Software under contract from
   NASA Ames Research Center.  The public domain version is still
   available from NASA, although Sterling Software now sells a version
   (not really different from the public domain version) for (I believe)
   $9000 university pricing."
The curious thing is that I can't find any reference to this program
anywhere in the body of the article.

This reference to free software really caught my attention.
Does anyone know what this program does?
Does anyone know where this can be found?
* Patrick Nolan              *  Bitnet: PLN@SLACVM                   *
* Hansen Laboratories        *  Internet: nolan@meggie.stanford.edu  *
* Stanford University        *                  (36.64.0.180)        *

paluzzi@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Peter Paluzzi ZeroOne) (06/02/90)

In article <2217@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> pln@sage1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Pat Nolan) writes:
>The May/June 1990 issue of Computers in Physics has an article by Robert
>S. Wolff titled "Visualization 101: A Tour Guide of Basic Concepts."
>At the end of the article there is an Author's Note which says,
>   "Plot-3D/GAS was developed by Sterling Software under contract from
>   NASA Ames Research Center.  The public domain version is still
>   available from NASA, although Sterling Software now sells a version
>   (not really different from the public domain version) for (I believe)
>   $9000 university pricing."
>The curious thing is that I can't find any reference to this program
>anywhere in the body of the article.
>
>This reference to free software really caught my attention.
>Does anyone know what this program does?
>Does anyone know where this can be found?
>--
>* Patrick Nolan              *  Bitnet: PLN@SLACVM                   *
>* Hansen Laboratories        *  Internet: nolan@meggie.stanford.edu  *
>* Stanford University        *                  (36.64.0.180)        *

Anyone who is interested in getting the PLOT3D package should get in
touch with Larry Pierce of Sterling Software at the NASA Ames Research
Center.  You can reach Larry at (415) 604-4492 or by mail at:

Larry Pierce
Sterling Software
NASA Ames Research Center, MS T045-2
Moffett Field, California  94035

Larry tells me that one needs to mail or fax a letter to him which makes
the request.  Certain information has to be in the letter so I would
advise you to contact him before writing.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Pete

  Peter Paluzzi, Sr. Graphics Analyst, Sterling Software, ZeroOne Group
         Advanced Computing Facility, NASA/Ames Research Center
               Mail Stop 233-3, Moffett Field, CA  94035
    (415) 604-4589  paluzzi@ames.arc.nasa.gov  N6YEO  (FTS) 464-4589