[comp.graphics] Info wanted : Hand-held scanners for IBM-PC

yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) (06/03/90)

I am thinking about purchasing a Hand scanner.
Particularly, I am looking for a scanner which is less than $200.

Does anybody have any experiences with hand scanners ?

I will appreciate any comments on :

	name of the manufacturer :
	price :
	required hardware (ports or devices) :
	software which comes together with the scanner:
	image format (supported) :
	quility of image (in terms of color and resolition) :
	OCR capability :
	reliabilty :

Thanks in advance..

Dae-kyun Yoon
dkyoon@priam.usc.edu, ..!uunet!usc!priam!dkyoon

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (06/05/90)

In article <YOON.90Jun3033028@aludra.usc.edu> yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) writes:

>I am thinking about purchasing a Hand scanner.
>Particularly, I am looking for a scanner which is less than $200.

In the latest DAK Indutries Inc (8200 Remmet Ave, Canoga Park, CA 91304
818-888-8220, Technical Info: 800-888-9818, Other: 800-888-7808)
catalogue is a Mars 105 Hand scanner for $136 (includes shipping).

It's a 200/300/400 DPI, black and white scanner, made by Marstek, Inc.
It comes with the hardware interface board and a software program to
drive it.

DAK will let you try the scanner for 30 days.  If you don't like it, you
can return it for a refund.

I purchased the Complete PC scanner (200 Dpi) from DAK and have been
having a lot of fun with it.  However, I too would like to hear from
others about inexpensive scanners and what they are doing with them.

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw