[comp.graphics] file transfers

iee0001@discg1.UUCP (Edward L. Heaton) (05/29/90)

I would like to know who out there could help me
convert files from Auto CAD to Page Maker?
According to the instructions I'm doing everything correct,
and I am still unable to get results.
I am using ver. 3.0 in Page Maker and rel. 10 in Auto CAD.
I would appreciate all or any help someone could share.

Thanks in advance.
EDWARD L. HEATON (AV)442-6310 (COMM)215-697-6310
Defense Industrial Supply Center (DISC-EE)
Philadelphia, PA  19111
{bpa,osu-cis!dsacg1}!discg1!iee0001

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (06/02/90)

> ... who out there could help convert AutoCAd files to Pagemaker ...

I haven't tried it with Release 10 AutoCAD files, but I'm sure it's similar
to the method I used with Release 9 and Pagemaker Version 3.0 ...

     'Print' the AutoCAD files using the Postscript printer driver (EPS is
the preferred format, but if Release 10 doesn't provide EPS, regular Post-
Script will do) to a file (you'll have to set up the AutoCAD Configure
Plotter and IO devices parameters first from the main menu).

     If Release 10 doesn't output EPS, then you'll have to use a word
processor or text editor to add the PostScript %%BoundingBox comment and
the X,Y,X1,Y1 parameters manually.  If you've suppolied values that are
too low, the image will be clipped; glance through the code to judge
minimum and maximum values (or use a bounding box utility if you are doing
a lot of files).  Set up a macro to do this if it's more than one file.
     %%BoundingBox: 0,0,200,350          (your values will differ)

     You didn't say if you were using Mac or PC AutoCAD and Pagemaker.  If
a hybrid application, it's easiest to use a null modem and two terminal
programs to transfer the files.

     Open up the Pagemaker file.  Select PLACE from the menu, click on the
file requester and insert the drawing.  You WON'T be able to see the picture,
only the rectangle which bounds it (the bounding box, of course).  It should
show the little EPS icon.  You may also have to insert the Adobe PostScript
version line at the very beginning of the file:
     %!PS-Adobe-           or %!PS-Adobe-2.0    (for a fully conforming doc)
(before transferring and inserting the graphic, sorry I'm writing this on
the fly and should have mentioned this up with the bounding box info).

     You may also wish to add the file headers for title and date (in the
text editor) if the document has a lot of drawings.  Since you cannot see
the drawing (AutoCAD doesn't output a corresponding bit image), it helps
you keep track later of which file you've inserted in a particular location.

     One common error I've noted, when people are using the full encapsulated
Postscript header is to write EPSF rather than EPFS, so a check of syntax is
also recommended.  (It's a forgiveable error, but won't work if incorrect.)

     As a side note, I've noticed that AutoCAD drawings render faithfully
when inserted into Pagemaker.  Good luck.

                                       Julie Petersen, Computer Artist

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (06/03/90)

Someone asked about Acad into PageMaker. The suggestion was EPSF.
What if the user doesn't use a PostScript printer!

Also, I was under the impression that PageMaker has a DXF import filter
but maybe I am crazy.
tj

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (06/05/90)

In article <30438@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>> ... who out there could help convert AutoCAd files to Pagemaker ...
>
>I haven't tried it with Release 10 AutoCAD files, but I'm sure it's similar
>to the method I used with Release 9 and Pagemaker Version 3.0 ...

Desktop Packaging Plus will transfer all sorts of CAD files to
EPS/Illustrator format. It can read in DXF, DDES2, and IGES format files.
AutoCAD can output in some (all?) of these formats. It has 16 bit fp
accuracy. Exported PostScript files can be edited in Illustrator or
placed in any program that accepts EPS files, including PageMaker.
You choose export options such as preserving line wights,
preserving colors, etc.

DPP is an enhanced version of FlexiCAD on the Mac. Some of its
enhancements include the import and export capabilities. BTW, it is a 2D
CAD program.

DISCLAIMER: I work for Montgomery Products, which sells DPP.

Paul Eric Menchen
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu