[net.cooks] limpa bread

peg@rochester.UUCP (12/14/84)

From: Peggy Meeker  <peg>

I'm probably spelling it wrong, but I'm asking for a friend (don't
attack!) ...  Does anybody know of a real, honest-to-goodness
Scandinavian recipe for limpa bread (that is, not the recipe found
in most general American cookbooks). I understand it's a fairly
heavy, dark, and somewhat sweet bread. Many thanks.

olson@rochester.UUCP (Thomas J. Olson) (12/21/84)

> From: Peggy Meeker  <peg>
>

> I'm probably spelling it wrong, but I'm asking for a friend (don't
> attack!) ...  Does anybody know of a real, honest-to-goodness
> Scandinavian recipe for limpa bread (that is, not the recipe found
> in most general American cookbooks). I understand it's a fairly
> heavy, dark, and somewhat sweet bread. Many thanks.

   Grandma Olson's Special Christmas Limpa

- makes two large or three small loaves.
- this bread needs to rise three times for about 2 hrs each,
  so be sure to start early in the day.

	1 small potato, mashed with a fork
	2 cups of the water you cooked the potato in
	1 cup lukewarm water
	1 small can evaporated milk
	1/2 c. molasses
	1/2 c. sugar
	1 tsp. salt
	2 Tbsp. melted butter
	1 package dry yeast dissolved in 1/2 c. water
	3 c. rye flour
	white flour as needed - usually about 6 cups

Mix everything except the white flour in a large mixing bowl or pot.
If necessary add more rye to make it like a thick batter.  Cover and
let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.  Stir it down and mix in enough
white flour to make a heavy dough, then cover and let rise again.  Turn it
out on a floured board and knead for 5-10 minutes, adding more white
flour.  A word to the wise - rye flour makes incredibly sticky and
stiff dough, so you're in for a workout.  Shape the dough into loaves,
put them in greased pans and let them rise covered a third time.
Bake about 45 minutes in a moderate oven.

Historical note : Grandma Olson was born Jenny Ingeborg Taub in
Haparanda, Sweden in the year of 1891.  She emigrated to the US
by herself at the age of 15, bringing this recipe with her.
Drink a toast to her, and enjoy!