[comp.graphics] FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO SUPERCOMPUTER REVIEW

eamonn@well.sf.ca.us (Eamonn Wilmott) (06/02/90)

FREE three month trial subscription to SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW.

The leading magazine  on high-performance computing,
SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW, is offering a three month trial
subscription at no charge (a $36 value).

To receive a free subscription reply via modem to their BBS:

Call 415-524-9625, 24 hours, 1200/2400-8-N-1.

To sign on, enter SUPER NET for first & last name and GO for
password.

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/07/90)

>FREE three month trial subscription to SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW.
>
>The leading magazine  on high-performance computing,
>SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW, is offering a three month trial
>subscription at no charge (a $36 value).
>
> [...]

Advertisements like this have no place on Usenet.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

mtv@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Schanen) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun7.031923.4647@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>Advertisements like this have no place on Usenet.
>
>--

   Not to mention the fact that I called from the west coast oer a month ago

and haven't heard a thing yet...

	>:^(

		-Dave
--
 Internet: mtv@milton.u.washington.edu	|      "Internet Go, anyone?"  -Me
 Bitnet:   MTV@UWAV1			|  "It's my theory, it belongs to me!"

mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (06/08/90)

In article <3993@milton.acs.washington.edu> mtv@milton.u.washington.edu (David Schanen) writes:
>   Not to mention the fact that I called from the west coast oer a month ago
>and haven't heard a thing yet...

You probably didn't meet their "strict audit requirements". Its the
latest gimmick. If you don't "meet" them, they send you an invoice for
the subscription. I wonder how many people really "meet" these audit
requirements?

The above comments are not referring to Supercomputer Review, or whatever
its called, specifically, just the tactic in general.

MD
--
-- UUCP:     ...!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mike       ------------------------------
-- Internet: mike@anomaly.sbs.com                --   "From Sick Minds Come  --

tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) (06/08/90)

In article <3993@milton.acs.washington.edu> mtv@milton.u.washington.edu (David Schanen) writes:
>In article <1990Jun7.031923.4647@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>
>>>FREE three month trial subscription to SUPERCOMPUTING REVIEW.
>>
>>Advertisements like this have no place on Usenet.
>>
>>--
>
>   Not to mention the fact that I called from the west coast oer a month ago
>
>and haven't heard a thing yet...

That makes me feel better ... I called from Glasgow at about the same time, and
I also have received nothing.

Maybe this has come from the same people who did the "GET-WELL-CARDS-FOR-SICK-KID" stuff.  :-)

tk

filler (stupid newsreader..)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (06/08/90)

In article <1710@anomaly.sbs.com> mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>You probably didn't meet their "strict audit requirements". Its the
>latest gimmick. If you don't "meet" them, they send you an invoice for
>the subscription. I wonder how many people really "meet" these audit
>requirements?

If you buy the products discussed in a commercial computer journal you
usually get a free subscription.  Potential suscriber lists are compiled
from computer customer lists and convention attendee lists.  We buy
computer products and receive lots of free journals.  Students and PC-level
products usually don't qualify.

kassover@minerva.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (06/09/90)

>In article <1710@anomaly.sbs.com> mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>>You probably didn't meet their "strict audit requirements". Its the
>>latest gimmick. If you don't "meet" them, they send you an invoice for
>>the subscription. I wonder how many people really "meet" these audit
>>requirements?

Every so often, I get to fill out another profile sheet for one
rag or another.  One time in particular, when I *know* my answers
were not substantively different from the previous years, I got a
letter saying that I did not qualify.

Being nettled, I called the phone number in the letter.  The gist
of the conversation was that the "requirements" for free
subscription change every so often,  and no they would not tell
me what the new requirements were, and I should therefore spend
>$300 for an annual subscription.  When I asked what was the
logic in paying to subscribe to a publication that appears free
in just about every other office in my building, and even if not,
is available in the very fine technical library not 1000 yards
from my desk, I was told, "I'm sorry sir, I have no answer for
you.  Are you *sure* you don't want it delivered right to *your*
desk?" and so on and so forth.

I now get two copies, free, of this journal.  Makes me popular
with the recycling guys...

And by the way, I'm still waiting for my charter subscription to
Scientific American's "Computer Digest", or whatever it's called,
to begin.  It's only been 2.6 years or so since I was notified I qualified...
--
David Kassover             "Proper technique helps protect you against
kassover@ra.crd.ge.com	    sharp weapons and dull judges."

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/09/90)

>>>You probably didn't meet their "strict audit requirements".
>>>I wonder how many people really "meet" these audit requirements?

I phoned in (I like entering computers just to try and figure out what
types they are, but that's not supercomputing) and answered their questions.
I also know some of editors, they used to work here.  And I've not
gotten any but the copies they give out at trade shows.

You don't think I threaten them do you?
I'm with the government, I'm here to help them.
What's this got to do with graphics?

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene