[comp.graphics] Image Processing and Pattern Recognition

elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) (06/08/90)

I am looking fo a newsgroup that covers image processing and pattern
recognition techniques. I am aware of two groups in the general area and
if I state their perceived short-comings from my point of view, people
may be able to help:

comp.graphics:    High traffic but covers graphical representation topics
                  (e.g 3D modelling, vectors formats etc.) and not
                  image processing alorithm discussions and obviously
                  nothing on pattern recognition.

comp.ai.vison:    Little traffic apart from a list. This "ai" group obviously
                  covers more general scene understanding schemes.

So is there a group that would discuss such topics as image enhancement
techniques and the merits of correlation versus feature extraction ?

Thanks,

Henry Bruce

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (06/08/90)

In article <4567@castle.ed.ac.uk> elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:
>I am looking fo a newsgroup that covers image processing and pattern
>recognition techniques. I am aware of two groups in the general area and
>if I state their perceived short-comings from my point of view, people
>may be able to help:
>
>comp.graphics:    High traffic but covers graphical representation topics
>                  (e.g 3D modelling, vectors formats etc.) and not
>                  image processing alorithm discussions and obviously
>                  nothing on pattern recognition.
>
>comp.ai.vison:    Little traffic apart from a list. This "ai" group obviously
>                  covers more general scene understanding schemes.
>
>So is there a group that would discuss such topics as image enhancement
>techniques and the merits of correlation versus feature extraction ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Henry Bruce

In brief, comp.ai.vision and comp.graphics are the two newsgroups that
have seen IP/PR-type discussions.  There are no unmoderated newsgroups
devoted EXPLICITLY to image processing or pattern recognition.

However, there are a slew of mailing lists (comp.ai.vision is a
newsgroup version of the Internet VISION-LIST mailing list, as a matter
of fact).  Luckily, Therry Pun recently compiled a list-of-lists.
Here's a copy (it appeared in VISION-LIST a few weeks ago).

TTFN--Pat

--
Patrick Flynn, CS, Michigan State University, flynn@cps.msu.edu
(Future Fighting Irishman)

mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green) (06/11/90)

From article <4567@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce):
> I am looking fo a newsgroup that covers image processing and pattern
> recognition techniques.

> So is there a group that would discuss such topics as image enhancement
> techniques and the merits of correlation versus feature extraction ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry Bruce

Hi,
	The only group that springs to mind, other than c.g and c.ai.vision,
	is  comp.dsp. This group discusses mainly machine-based signal
	processing, but occasionally there is some discussion of image
	processing.

	This does seem to be an area that is poorly represented on the net.

	Is this just because the folks who work on ip/pr don't post, or are
	there not that many people in the ip/pr field with net access?

Cheers,
	Mike

--
|Michael A. Green.              |JANET:  mike@uk.ac.keele.cs                |
|Department of Computer Science |BITNET: mike%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl            |

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/11/90)

Some of the best men in IP that I know do not have net access.
A few regard net access as frivolous, especially then they see so much
PC based stuff in comp.graphics.  None of the PC people, however, has ever
complained of any discussion on IP in comp.graphics. You should not feel
deterred to ask questions, quite a few IP people do read c.g.
But do not be discouraged if not many get involved, time will bring out more.

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene