[comp.graphics] How do I create new textures with Turbo Silver 3.0

her@compel.UUCP (Helge Egelund Rasmussen) (06/12/90)

I'm using the Turbo Silver 3.0 raytracing program on an Amiga and like
it very much. However I would like to use some other textures than the two
supplied with the program.

According to the manual:
  ... Impulse Inc. will release into the public domain the information
  and/or software necessary for Silver users to create their own textures.

The question is: Has Impulse released this information, and if the answer is
yes, where can I get it?

I also would like to create some objects without using the editor
(to create landscapes etc.), but to do this I need to know the format of
the Silver save files...
Does anybody out there know the format of these files?

   Helge

---
Helge E. Rasmussen  .  PHONE + 45 31 37 11 00  .  E-mail:  her@compel.dk
Compel A/S          .  FAX   + 45 31 37 06 44  .
Copenhagen, Denmark

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/13/90)

In article <1087@compel.UUCP> her@compel.UUCP (Helge Egelund Rasmussen) writes:
>According to the manual:
>  ... Impulse Inc. will release into the public domain the information
>  and/or software necessary for Silver users to create their own textures.

Well, the $30 upgrade leaves me with an "about" menu that says 3.01SV
May 5 and a directory called "Textures.Kit" that contains sample
textures and a description of how to write texture routines using the
files.  Since there is no "This is PD" in the files I looked at, I
can't post them. However, upgrading should get you a copy.

Are there other people using Turbo?  Are you getting good results?  I'm
getting crappy results, but I'm pretty sure it must be me.  I'm trying
to get a flame and a wax candle to look right and it just isn't
happening.  Shaded AsLamp objects shade themselves, which looks
terrible.  Wax just refuses to be translucent.  I get bizzarre stripes
of background color through my images, completely unrelated to
objects.

Also, I would be interested if anybody knows the IFF format for a turbo
CELL or OBJECT.  I think you can get the disk for $5, but since I'm
just playing around I never took the time to order it. I would be
interested in getting sample cells to learn from.

	     -- Darren

mtv@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Schanen) (06/14/90)

    I contacted Impulse about this a while back.  They said that they would
provide me with the file format description if I sent them something in writing
saying what I intended to use it for (ie make money or personal use.)  I
never got around to sending them something but I think you could.  I also don't
have the address handy but I'm sure you can find it...

	Keep us informed, maybe you can tell them you know this great bunch of
graphics programmers ;)

--
 Internet: mtv@milton.u.washington.edu	|      "Internet Go, anyone?"  -Me
 Bitnet:   MTV@UWAV1			|  "It's my theory, it belongs to me!"

trebbien@cbmger.UUCP (Uwe Trebbien GERMANY) (06/15/90)

Try to contact Imtronics, Miami.
I think, they are distributing Turbo Silver, so they may help you.

bye	UWE

--

Uwe Trebbien              trebbien@cbmger
Amiga Dealer Hotline