[comp.graphics] Scattered Data -> Regular Grid Data

corkum@csri.toronto.edu (Brent Thomas Corkum) (06/15/90)

I'm looking for some references or comments concerning the conversion
of scattered data in two dimensions to data on a regular grid. I would
alos like to be able to handle holes in the data, meaning areas in which
no interpolation or extrapolation will occur or cross. But this last
requirement is not mandatory.

Brent
corkum@csri.toronto.edu

In article <1990Jun15.122858.1197@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> corkum@csri.toronto.edu (Brent Thomas Corkum) writes:
>I'm looking for some references or comments concerning the conversion
>of scattered data in two dimensions to data on a regular grid. I would
>alos like to be able to handle holes in the data, meaning areas in which
>no interpolation or extrapolation will occur or cross. But this last
>requirement is not mandatory.
>

>Brent
>corkum@csri.toronto.edu

This problem is regularly encountered in the digital cartography field,
where it is a preprocessing step to several contouring packages.  Make
sure that it is the only way to solve your problem before you select
this approach, however, as it is fraught with special cases, numerical
instabilities, and numerical artifacts.

A superior method for many uses is to triangulate the data points with
a method that replaces the edge between two skinny triangles with a
common long border with the edge connecting the two uninvolved points
of the two triangles (where this edge is internal to the quadrilateral
formed by the two triangles) to make them more nearly equilateral, until
no further such cases exist, and then either doing linear interpolation
from the corner values to get interior values for whatever your problem
needs, or doing a higher order interpolation using points from surrounding
triangles to get second order continuity at the edges.

Kent, the man from xanth.

In article <1990Jun16.004234.17224@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <1990Jun15.122858.1197@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> corkum@csri.toronto.edu (Brent Thomas Corkum) writes:
>>I'm looking for some references or comments concerning the conversion
>>of scattered data in two dimensions to data on a regular grid. I would
>>alos like to be able to handle holes in the data, meaning areas in which
>>no interpolation or extrapolation will occur or cross. But this last
>>requirement is not mandatory.

Sorry about following up my own posting, I'm not usually this lazy.  The
triangulation described in the following, if accomplished by first enclosing
the whole data set in a very large triangle whose points have the average
value of the data set, (or perhaps lie on a plane which is a least squares
fit to the data) allows reasonable assignment of points to a regular grid
covering the same area, and stable extrapolation within the area covered
by the circumscribing triangle.

	Automated Contour Mapping Using Triangular Element Data Structures
	and An Interpolant Over Each Irregular Triangular Domain
	by C. M. Gold, University of Alberta, T. D. Charters,
	Alberta Environment, and J. Ramsden, Alberta Research
	Page 170-175 in:
	Computer Graphics, A Quarterly Report of SIGGRAPH-ACM,
	Volume 11, Number 2, Summer 1977, a.k.a. SIGGRAPH '77 Proceedings.

This is a very approachable paper, though I'd like to see where Chris has
gone with this material since 1977.

Kent, the man from xanth.