[comp.graphics] Postscript PD interpreter

damon@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Damon Schaefer) (06/27/90)

Raymond van der Laan writes:
> We want to convert PostScript files to bitmapfiles. Does anyone
> know about a public domain software that can do this? A PS-interpreter
> (with sources) is also very welcome.

> We know about GhostScript. Does anyone have (good) experience with it??

Although GhostScript 1.4 BETA 3 appears to generate RGB bitmaps internally
it does not presently give you the ability to write them out as files.
When I contacted the author about doing that his response was something like
- Gee, why don't you write a driver to do that? and after that, all
further mail from me has been ignored.

Assuming that you have the time and feel competent enough to wade through
all of the source files in order to track down the place to put in the
hooks to dump the bitmaps -- and all with little or no support from the
author -- then GO FOR IT!!  You will probably end up with a better program
for what you want than anything else out there.  As an added bonus, you
will also get an X11 driver that works rather well.