[comp.graphics] Cheap

george@shumv1.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (06/27/90)

  Does anyone in the Dallas area know if any university dorms are
available for SIGGRAPH visitors?  If not, how about some inexpensive
hotels?  I'm going to try the hotels that came with my SIGGRAPH packet,
but any others tips (Econo-lodge, etc...) would be welcome.

Additional note: the closer to the Dallas Convention Center, the
                 better.

george  -  a student with limited resources  -  read "broke"

| George Browning                  North Carolina State University  |
| george@shumv1.ncsu.edu                               Raleigh, NC  |
|___________________________________________________________________|

jorice@swift.cs.tcd.ie (06/27/90)

I'm a poor student from Ireland looking for somewhere cheaper to stay in Dallas
for SIGGRAPH than the $50-a-night quoted in the conference registration docs.
Am I dreaming here? What about youth hostels or campus dorms or something? I'm
not too fussy, just as long as I don't wake up with a knife in my back. Anyone
maybe want to share a twin room? That cuts the price in half, as far as I can
see from the conference docs.

Jonathan Rice
Computer Science Dept.,
Trinity College Dublin.

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (06/28/90)

In article <7014.2688b9de@swift.cs.tcd.ie> jorice@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>I'm a poor student from Ireland looking for somewhere cheaper to stay in Dallas
>for SIGGRAPH than the $50-a-night quoted in the conference registration docs.

I attended a convention at the same location late last year.
There is not much in the way of cheap hotels downtown.
Some students pooled resources to rent a car and stayed outside downtown.
There is a usable bus system, but not of European quality.
Downtown Dallas almost completely closes down at 6PM except for a yuppie strip
called West Alley.  The homeless street people come out at night and are
numerous and aggressive.

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (06/28/90)

In article <7014.2688b9de@swift.cs.tcd.ie> jorice@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>maybe want to share a twin room? That cuts the price in half, as far as I can
>see from the conference docs.

Well, you can get a single with a queen-size bed for around $50 and
be within walking distance of SIGGRAPH.  How many people can you fit
in that room? :-)

--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu