[comp.graphics] SunPHIGS inquire wks state value

mckie@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (William McKie) (07/09/90)

We recently had use for knowing whether a particular PHIGS
workstation was currently open or not, and we located the
INQUIRE WORKSTATION STATE VALUE routine in the SunPHIGS 1.1
manual (p 675).  However, there appears to be no way to
tell this routine which workstation we are asking about,
as there is no workstation id argument in the argument list,
only the argument for the returned state of some workstation.

E.g.

 In C, the call is:      pinqwsst( ws_state )
                         Pwsstate *ws_state;

 In fortran, the call is:   call pqwkst( wksta )
                            integer wksta

How do we use this routine to inquire about a specific
workstation?

Thanks,
-Bill McKie
mckie@sky.arc.nasa.gov

jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh @stardent) (07/11/90)

> From: mckie@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (William McKie)

> We recently had use for knowing whether a particular PHIGS
> workstation was currently open or not, and we located the
> INQUIRE WORKSTATION STATE VALUE routine in the SunPHIGS 1.1
> manual (p 675).
> ..
>  In C, the call is:      pinqwsst( ws_state )
>                          Pwsstate *ws_state;

> How do we use this routine to inquire about a specific
> workstation?

INQUIRE WORKSTATION STATE VALUE returns whether or not the
PHIGS state is WSOP.

If you want to know if a particular workstation is open you should use
an inquiry which will return an error if the specified workstation is
not open. INQUIRE WORKSTATION CONNECTION AND TYPE is just such an
inquiry. It should only return an error if there are no workstations
open ( error #3 ) or if the specified workstation is not open ( error
#54 )

-Jan "YON" Hardenbergh - jch@stardent.com                uunet!stardent!jch
Stardent Computer, Inc.,  95 Wells Ave., Newton, MA 02159 (617)964-6228x261
--

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (07/11/90)

In article <7209@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> mckie@amelia.nas.nasa.gov
    (William McKie) writes:
>We recently had use for knowing whether a particular PHIGS
>workstation was currently open or not, and we located the
>INQUIRE WORKSTATION STATE VALUE routine in the SunPHIGS 1.1
>manual (p 675).

[The page numbers I give reference the standard ISO/IEC 9592-1:1988(E)]

PHIGS has several operating states.  These are:

    PHIGS:		Open/Closed
    Workstatiob:	Open/Closed
    Archive File:	Open/Closed
    Structure:		Open/Closed

The INQUIRE WORKSTATION STATE VALUE tells you whether or not the
application currently has at least one workstation open (pg. 107).  Each
workstation has in its state list whether or not it is open or closed (pg.
68).  What you probably want is a list of all open workstations which you
can then search to find the workstation you're looking for:

(pg. 235)
INQUIRE SET OF OPEN WORKSTATIONS			(PHOP, *, *, *)
Parameters:
Out	Error Indicator			Integer
Out	Set of Open Workstations	List(Workstation Identifiers)

This should return to you a list of the ID's of the workstations that are
open by this application.

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
``If everybody is thinking the same thing, is anybody thinking?'' --Bob Johnson