[comp.graphics] PHIGS ??? Any books available?

warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) (06/28/90)

Hi netland,
It's dumb question time. I loaded up PHIGS here on our VAX and I'ld
really like to learn how to use it. I figured out enough to get some
simple stuff up, but no more than I can do in GKS. Does anyone know of
any books on PHIGS. The DEC reference manual looks like it would be
fine if I already knew what I was doing.
--
David Warren		INTERNET: warren@atmos.washington.edu
(206) 543-0945		UUCP:	  uw-beaver!atmos.washington.edu!warren

metz@iam.unibe.ch (Igor Metz) (06/28/90)

In article <WARREN.90Jun27101026@rainbow.atmos.washington.edu> warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) writes:
>It's dumb question time. I loaded up PHIGS here on our VAX and I'ld
>really like to learn how to use it. I figured out enough to get some
>simple stuff up, but no more than I can do in GKS. Does anyone know of
>any books on PHIGS. The DEC reference manual looks like it would be
>fine if I already knew what I was doing.

I know of 1 book describing PHIGS. It gives an overview:

	Brown, Maxine D. Understanding PHIGS : the hierarchical computer
	graphics standard / [Maxine D. Brown, author ; Michael Heck, technical
	editor] San Diego, CA ; Template, 1985.

There is also a paper about PHIGS:

	Martin Plaehn:	PHIGS: Programmer's Hierarchical Interactive Graphics
	Standard, BYTE,1987, No. 11, p. 275--286

--
Igor Metz
Institut fuer Informatik und angew. Mathematik, Universitaet Bern, Switzerland.

In article <WARREN.90Jun27101026@rainbow.atmos.washington.edu> warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) writes:
>Hi netland,
>It's dumb question time. I loaded up PHIGS here on our VAX and I'ld
>really like to learn how to use it. I figured out enough to get some
>simple stuff up, but no more than I can do in GKS. Does anyone know of
>any books on PHIGS. The DEC reference manual looks like it would be
>fine if I already knew what I was doing.
>--
>David Warren		INTERNET: warren@atmos.washington.edu
>(206) 543-0945		UUCP:	  uw-beaver!atmos.washington.edu!warren
>Dept of Atmospheric Sciences, AK-40
>University of Washington

I'm not sure if it's still in print (copyright 1985), or even still
exactly accurate (probably prior to the final standard), but there
is in my lap a _very_ non-threatening book called Understanding PHIGS
by Maxine Brown, who served on ANSI X3H3 for years.  Unfortunately
no ISBN, but the full contact info is on the back, it's from the
TEMPLATE division of Megatek:

	Understanding PHIGS, The Hierarchical Computer Graphics Standard
	Maxine D. Brown
	TEMPLATE, The Software Division of Megatek Corporation
	9645 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121 (619) 455-5590

The price printed on the back is $15.00.

The book is extremely visual, with lots of structure diagrams, pointer
linkage illustrations, tables, good use of color, and well organized.

Maxine is a professional communications consultant for the computer graphics
industry (the credits say) and it shows.

With this book as a start, explaining _why_ PHIGS works as it does and a
little about how it does it, together with your software manual, you should
be off to a good start.

Speculate on the phone call, maybe it's still for sale.

Kent, the man from xanth.

toby@cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) (07/12/90)

Careful! The Understanding PHIGS book describes an obsolete pre-Standard
PHIGS and has nothing on PHIGS PLUS. I have a annotated PHIGS bibliography
that I can email to anyone interested. And you never know, there might
jyust be a new textbook coming out fairly soon... ... ... ...

Toby

Toby Howard    Computer Science Department, University of Manchester,
Lecturer       Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
               janet:       toby@uk.ac.man.cs.p1
               internet:    toby%p1.cs.man.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
               earn/bitnet: toby%uk.ac.man.cs.p1@UKACRL
               uucp:        ...!ukc!mup1!toby       voice: +44 61-275-6274