[comp.graphics] spline tutorials?

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (07/13/90)

Does anyone know of a Siggraph (or other) tutorial on splines,
that has src code (or pseudo code, or worked examples) of
Hermite splines, Catmull-Rom splines, B-splines, Bezier splines, etc?

The graphics books I've seen so far just give a pretty
superficial treatment of splines, or a extremely abstract
hand-waving explanation.  I'm looking for something a bit
easier to sink my teeth into.

Any and all pointers appreciated.

-Ted

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (07/13/90)

In article <7480002@hpwrce.HP.COM> ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) writes:
>The graphics books I've seen so far just give a pretty
>superficial treatment of splines, or a extremely abstract
>hand-waving explanation.  I'm looking for something a bit
>easier to sink my teeth into.

The best book that I know of has just been revised and released in a second
edition (and guess who bought the first edition, grr....).   Anyway, I highly
recommend:

	Farin, "Curves and Surfaces for Computer Aided Geometric Design",
	First edition was 1988, the second is (I believe 1990).

	I am unsure that that is QUITE the right title, but its very close
	(my copy is at home right now...)

This does a real nice job of discuss things like degree elevation and
reduction, discussing mathematical properties, subdivision, changing
basis vectors, whatever.   All in all, quite readable as well, with
much less mathematical mumbo-jumbo than, say the Killer B's book.  The
new version is expanded and includes some C code, although I can't
comment on how useful THAT is.

Mark VandeWettering