[comp.graphics] High resolution grayscale hardcopy devices

jrb@flopsy.sarnoff.com (James R. Bergen x3003) (07/11/90)

I need information about high quality grayscale output devices for Sun workstations.  We have a Matrix camera system for photographic output and want something faster and more convenient for image hardcopy.

sysmgt007@spacm1.uucp (07/12/90)

In article <557@flopsy.sarnoff.com>, jrb@flopsy.sarnoff.com
 (James R. Bergen  x3003) writes:
> I need information about high quality grayscale output devices for
> Sun workstations.  We have a Matrix camera system for photographic output
> and want something faster and more convenient for image hardcopy.
I did the evaluation for such products at my last job and can give you some
suggestions:

	Lasergraphics or Lasertechniqes (one makes pc boards and I can
	  never remember which is which - sorry -:( ):

		2Kx2Kx8 Images (smaller sizes are supported)
		Uses Dry silver technology
		Images in about 3 minutes
		Uses a laser to write the pattern
		About $19k if memory servers

	Honeywell Test Instr. COLORADO (actually beta-tested this beast)
		2kx2Kx5 (8 bit in development)
		Uses Dry silver color technology (black & white option
						  available)
		Images in about 90 seconds
		Uses LED's to write the pattern
		About $11K

To the best of my knowledge, this represents the most of the high resolution
grayscale printers.  By the way, we ended up with a unit (that was discontinued
beginning of this year) from Ektron.  It could do 5Kx5kx8 in 2 minutes for
only $21K.

Hope this helps.  Email me if you need additional discussion (except phone
numbers and/or addresses - I did not take the product lits. with me when I
changed jobs)

Dean (The Shadow)
| Dean I. Nedelman                     spacm1!sysmgt007@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov  |
| 213-345-3069                                                              |
| Security Pacific, 333 South Beaudry Ave., Los Angeles, CA  90017          |
|                                                                           |
| This space reserved for future disclaimers.                               |

rbn@umd5.umd.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/18/90)

I know of only two color hardcopy units that actually do grey scale
rather than halftoning.  One is from Dupont and goes for about $60K.
The other is from Kodak.  I've got one of those.  It goes for about
half that.  It's 2Kx2K (although it will autoscale any resolution from
200 to 4096) on 11x11 paper or transparencies.  It will either do
color or black and white depending on the ribbon installed.  You can
get it with either SCSI or GPIB interface.

-Ron