[comp.graphics] Foley and van Dam book II

rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) (07/18/90)

        The new edition of "Foley and van Dam" is available.
I just received it directly from Addison Wesley last Thursday.
It should be appearing in bookstores at any time.
It is very good, a complete re-write of the earlier version.
Here is the information which everybody is bound to be asking:

        "Computer Graphics, Principles and Practices",
        James D. Foley, Andries van Dam, Steven K. Feiner,
        and John F. Hughs, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.,
        1990.
                     ISBN 0-201-12110-7

            approx. 1200 pp., 21 chapters plus an
            appendix which reviews mathematics for
            computer graphics.

        It can be ordered directly from Addison Wesley
        by phone: 1-800-447-2226. cost: $64.50 + tax

                              IMHO, It's excellent!

                               Randy Rohrer

rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) (07/18/90)

        I recently posted an item concerning the
availability of the new edition of the "Foley and
van Dam" book. It seems that I inadvertently mis-spelled
one of the co-authors names. Hence, I would like to correct
it to give proper credit.

     "Computer Graphics, Principles and Practices",
     James D. Foley, Andries van Dam, Steven K. Feiner,
     and John F. Hughes, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1990.
         --------------

                         Thanks,
                                 (Sorry for the misinformation.)

                         Randy Rohrer

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (07/19/90)

In article <25553@mimsy.umd.edu> rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) writes:

>        The new edition of "Foley and van Dam" is available.
>I just received it directly from Addison Wesley last Thursday.
>It should be appearing in bookstores at any time.

It's here!

>It is very good, a complete re-write of the earlier version.
       ^^^^ ^^^^
Agreed.  Although they obviously couldn't go into great detail on a lot
of things, they sure tried to cover (almost) everything!

>            approx. 1200 pp., 21 chapters plus an
>            appendix which reviews mathematics for
>            computer graphics.

It's _only_ 1174 pages... %( %)

A memorable specification:

   (on polygon interior conventions)
   "Another rule is the nonexterior rule... if we think of the curve
    as a fence, the interior is the region in which animals can be
    penned up." [p. 965]

I'm having a little trouble implementing from their description %> ...

Is there an email address where readers can submit corrections?  On page
716, there are two references [FOUR88] and [FIUM89] that do not appear
in the bibliography at the end of the book.  I'm pretty sure that the
second is Fiume's book "The Mathematical Structure of Raster Graphics,"
but I'm not sure on the Fournier reference.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat

In article <3777@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
>In article <25553@mimsy.umd.edu> rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) writes:
>>
>>        The new edition of "Foley and van Dam" is available.
>>I just received it directly from Addison Wesley last Thursday.
>>It should be appearing in bookstores at any time.
>
>It's here!
>
>>It is very good, a complete re-write of the earlier version.
>       ^^^^ ^^^^
>Agreed.  Although they obviously couldn't go into great detail on a lot
>of things, they sure tried to cover (almost) everything!
>
>>            approx. 1200 pp., 21 chapters plus an
>>            appendix which reviews mathematics for
>>            computer graphics.
>
>It's _only_ 1174 pages... %( %)
>
>A memorable specification:
>
>   (on polygon interior conventions)
>   "Another rule is the nonexterior rule... if we think of the curve
>    as a fence, the interior is the region in which animals can be
>    penned up." [p. 965]
>
>I'm having a little trouble implementing from their description %> ...
>
>Is there an email address where readers can submit corrections?  On page
>716, there are two references [FOUR88] and [FIUM89] that do not appear
>in the bibliography at the end of the book.  I'm pretty sure that the
>second is Fiume's book "The Mathematical Structure of Raster Graphics,"
>but I'm not sure on the Fournier reference.

One of the two new authors for the second edition follows comp.graphics;
I'm sorry to say I've forgotten which.  Since lots of us would be
interested in corrections, get a set together and post them.

I got my copy three days ago.  The first word that comes to mind is
"overwhelming", no doubt about it.

The best part was the apology in the preface for all the stuff they had
to leave out!  ;-)

Of course, like anything produced over several years, it suffers a bit
from being out of date the day it is published.  I was hoping for good
coverage of X Windows, the latest hot item in the graphics job market,
but it gets just a few index references, and mostly is just mentioned
in passing.  Oh, well, the bookshelves are full of X Windows books, and
nothing for a long time is going to hold a candle to this book for an
in depth overview of graphics.  The emphasis this time around has gone
completely to the raster world, which is nice since that is (at least)
Jim Foley's specialty.

I was hoping for time to post at least the table of contents.  If no one
has done so by the time I get back next week, and this comp.sys.amiga.games
vote I'm running hasn't drowned me, and I survive 1200 miles on a motor
scooter, I'll try to make time for it.  This definitely is again _the_
standard graphics textbook.

Kent, the man from xanth.
I made my way through the computer controlled monorail, car by car, cruising
for sentient beings.  -- Mark Leyner

cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) (07/20/90)

In article <3777@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
>on page 716, there are two references [FOUR88] and [FIUM89] that do not appear
>in the bibliography at the end of the book.  I'm pretty sure that the
>second is Fiume's book "The Mathematical Structure of Raster Graphics,"

I'm fairly certain that FOUR88 is

"On the Power of the Frame Buffer", Alain Fournier, Donald Fussel
Transactions on Graphics April 1988, Vol 7 No 2, pp 103-128

--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.ca           Now with new, minty Internet flavour!

jfh@cs.brown.edu (John Forbes Hughes) (07/20/90)

In article <3777@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
>In article <25553@mimsy.umd.edu> rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) writes:
>>
>>        The new edition of "Foley and van Dam" is available.
>>I just received it directly from Addison Wesley last Thursday.
>>It should be appearing in bookstores at any time.
>
> [... stuff deleted ...]
>
>A memorable specification:
>
>   (on polygon interior conventions)
>   "Another rule is the nonexterior rule... if we think of the curve
>    as a fence, the interior is the region in which animals can be
>    penned up." [p. 965]
>
>I'm having a little trouble implementing from their description %> ...

I don't mean to sound too defensive here, but I was the guy who wrote that
particular sentence. I'm not very proud of it, I admit, but the ellipsis
leaves out two things: the reference to a figure, in which an example of the
rule is shown, and the more precise description: "...[a seed point] distant
from the polyline [is chosen]. Any point that can be connected to this seed
point by a path that does not intersect the polyline is said to be outside..."

I *could* have been more precise and said "Consider the setwise difference of
the plane and the polyline. In this set, the component of the point at infinity
is defined to be *outside* the polyline; the complement of the outside in the
plane is the inside." [Where "point at infinity" is defined as in typical math
texts.] Still, I thought that my description was more enlightening as is.

The poster asked for an address to which corrections could be mailed. In
a few days, when the authors have gotten a chance to discuss it, I'll
try to post news containing such an address.

By the way, the book also contains an answer to an earlier question, on how to
scan convert a parabola--it actually contains a Bresenahm/midpoint-style
scan conversion algorithm for an arbitrary conic.

-John Hughes

nad@cl.cam.ac.uk (Neil Dodgson) (07/21/90)

In article <45359@brunix.UUCP> jfh@cs.brown.edu (John Forbes Hughes) writes:
>In article <3777@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
>>In article <25553@mimsy.umd.edu> rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) writes:
>>A memorable specification:
>>
>>   (on polygon interior conventions)
>>   "Another rule is the nonexterior rule... if we think of the curve
>>    as a fence, the interior is the region in which animals can be
>>    penned up." [p. 965]
>>
>>I'm having a little trouble implementing from their description %> ...
>
>I don't mean to sound too defensive here, but I was the guy who wrote that
>particular sentence. I'm not very proud of it,...

Hey, I would be (proud of it that is).  IMHO if you can explain a
difficult concept simply so that anyone (who's likely to read the
book) can understand it then you're doing well.

The point that a simple, direct, informal style tends to make your
descriptions much clearer than a formal scientific style was very well
illustrated by George Orwell in his essay "Politics and the English
Language" [1946].  He `translates' the following (well-known) verse
from Ecclesiastes 9:11 into modern (scientific) English:

The original:
  "I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not always to
   the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the
   wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to
   men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all."

The translation:
  "Objective consideration of contemporary phenomena compels the
   conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities
   exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity,
   but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must
   invariably be taken into account."

[I took this example from the introduction to J.R. Krebs and N.B.
Davies "An Introduction to Behavioural Ecology" (ISBN 0-632-01498-9,
in case any of you want to rush out and buy it :-)]

Neil Dodgson