[comp.graphics] Importing GOOD graphs into Framemaker on a SPARC station

ee4332@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Zukowski) (07/20/90)

Surely someone out there has created quality graphs on a SUN workstation
and imported them into Framemaker.  Can anyone tell me what software you
are using.

In the past I have used LOTUS to do some graphing on a PS/2 and then
I would import the graphics file into WordPerfect.  I even took a step
further and created a postscript file in WordPerfect but it seem slike
Framemaker only accepts EPSI files.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

Please don't suggest TROFF and GRAPH on most UNIX systems.  Those are
pathetically inadequate.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul Landsberg
paws@vlsi.columbia.edu

efwjr@triton.paradyne.com (Ellsworth Warmouth x2882) (07/21/90)

In <1990Jul20.142521.9552@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ee4332@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Zukowski) writes:

>Surely someone out there has created quality graphs on a SUN workstation
>and imported them into Framemaker.  Can anyone tell me what software you
>are using.

We are using a spreadsheet called 20/20 for the SUN.  It produces graphs
under SUNVIEW that can be imported into Framemaker using the CAPTURE
command.  Of course any portion of a sunview screen can be captured this
way.  This is with Framemaker 2.0.  It is not available under Framemaker
1.3.

>In the past I have used LOTUS to do some graphing on a PS/2 and then
>I would import the graphics file into WordPerfect.  I even took a step
>further and created a postscript file in WordPerfect but it seem slike
>Framemaker only accepts EPSI files.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

Well any postscript can be imported into Framemaker using a Postscript
TextRect.  However, the only way you can get WYSIWYG drawings is to use
EPSI.  The normal postscript TextRect will only show up on the printer.

>Please don't suggest TROFF and GRAPH on most UNIX systems.  Those are
>pathetically inadequate.

>Thanks for any help you can offer.

Your Welcome

>Paul Landsberg
>paws@vlsi.columbia.edu

Ellsworth
-----
Ellsworth Warmouth  AT&T Paradyne Corp. Largo FL  813-530-2882
UUCP 	efwjr@pdn.paradyne.com	Amateur Call	KB4SH
Opinions expressed are mine alone and not necessarily those of AT&T Paradyne.

cfreese@super.ORG (Craig F. Reese) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul20.142521.9552@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ee4332@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Zukowski) writes:
>Surely someone out there has created quality graphs on a SUN workstation
>and imported them into Framemaker.  Can anyone tell me what software you
>are using.
>
>Paul Landsberg
>paws@vlsi.columbia.edu

I'm not sure what you consider "quality" graphs but, in general, I've had
success doing this with either Access Technologies 20/20 spreadsheet or
Wolfram's Mathematica.

For 20/20 you simply need to run the following script on the PS file:

   #!/bin/csh
   sed "s/PS-Adobe-1.0/PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-1.2/" |\
   sed "s/^8.500000 inch 0 translate/%EPSF 8.500000 inch 0 translate/" |\
   sed "s/^90 rotate/%EPSF 90 rotate/"

For Mathematica you just need to edit the BoundingBox line to give you
the right stuff.  I.e. print the page, measure the location, convert
to points, and edit the PostScript.  This is pretty messy but I love
3D surface plots....

Of course, in neither situation do you actually see the graph on the
screen.  You only see it when it prints out.

Not the best solution, but if you have to do this kind of thing it
will suffice until document prep and graphics packages get their act
together under UNIX.  (Yes, I know Interleaf has some plotting
facilities but I've not had an opportunity to try them... yet.)

craig
*** The interests and opinions expressed are my own and do not
*** necessarily reflect those of my employer.
Craig F. Reese                           Email: cfreese@super.org
Institute for Defense Analyses/
Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Dr.