[comp.graphics] Geographic Information System

hmueller@wfsc4.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul23.151301.20723@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>Does anyone know of a PC-based (Mac or IBM) Geographic Information
>System that would allow inputting maps and assigning a database
>of information to various points on the map?
>
>Thanks.
>--- Sue
>Sue Klefstad
>s-klefstad@uiuc.edu

Here's what I know:
PC/ARC-INFO, a version (with reduced capabilities) of workstation ARC-INFO,
runs on IBM machines.  I don't have their address, but you can probably
find an ad from them in a current issue of GIS World, PO Box 8090,
Ft Collins,  CO 80526.

GRASS was developed by the US Army Construction Engineering Research Lab,
and is Unix based, but has been ported to the Mac.

GRASS distribution sites:
Concurrent, Mac, and AT&T:
ITD SRSC
Bldg 1103, Suite 118
Stennis Space Center, MS 39529
Phone: 601/688-2509, Scott Howard
Fax: 601/688-2861

SUN, Tektronix, and PC 386:
DBA Systems
Redwood One Building, 10560 Arrowhead Roa
Fairfax, VA 22033
Phone: 703/934-6769, Dave Johnson
Fax: 703/385-5870

Concurrent, SUN, and PC 386
European GRASS Center, Buro Nieuwland
P.B. 522
6700 AM Wageningen, Netherlands
Phone: (011) 31-8370-21711, Jan Wim Ploeg
Fax: 31-8370-25046

SCO UNIX 486
Satellite Technologies Group (STG)
9901 E. Valley Ranch Pkwy, Suite 2020
Irving, TX 75063
Phone: 214/506-9980, H. Eric Douthit II
Fax: 214/556-2330

From: UN020240@WVNVMS.BITNET
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.gis-l
Subject: RE: GIS FOR MAC
Date: 16 Apr 90 17:43:00 GMT

There is a high end GIS package called "MapGrafix" that runs
on the MAC. It costs about $6000.00 (educational price). It
was meant to compete with ARC-INFO but it doesn't seem to be
as full featured. One good feature is the fact that you can
use any database (unlike ARC-INFO) with it. The program
takes some getting used to because it deviates from the
standard MAC-USER interface. They will sell you an almost
fully functional demo version for about $50.00. It can be
obtained from:

ComGrafix, INC.
620 E St.
Clearwater, FL 34616
ph: 813-443-6807

A GRASS port called MacGrass is available for $900.00 from

ITD, Space Remote Sensing Center
Building 1103, Suite 118
Stennis Space Center, MS 39529
ph: 601-688-2509

You need a macII with AUX and a big hard disk 200-300meg to
run MacGrass. Also need a video terminal attached to the
mac. MacGrass is commanded from a video terminal because it
takes over the color display for display only. The program
is only distributed via apple streaming tape, so you'll need
one of those too.
If Grass is public domain why the $900.00 fee?
     You are basically paying for the video driver and
     customer support.

From: MARBLE@MAPVXA.CFM.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Duane Marble)
Date: 13 Apr 90 18:06:00 GMT

There was a fairly comprehensive listing of these programs in the
Newsletter of the Canadian Cartographic Association about nine months
or a year ago. If you have the firepower (memory, etc.), MAP II which
can be obtained from John Wiley for about $125 is quite nice. For
smaller systems (e.g., SE) there are other, monochrome, programs
available from academic sources.
Duane Marble

--------------------------
By all means, spend $125 for MAP II.  It offers a full suite of grid-based
GIS functions, color support, nice data import/export capabilities, and
you can get support from both John Wiley (the software publisher) or
Machine Computng Lab., Dept. of Geography, U. of Manitoba (the developer).

A monochrome product recently on the market, hinted at by D. Marble, is
called macGIS.  It is also about $100, will run on all Macs (including
on a 400K external drive!), and comes with an interesting 3-D wire-frame
modeling program (if your data set has z-coords.).  It may be found by
contacting David Hulse, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, Univ. of Oregon,
Eugene, OR 97403.

These Mac products each have interesting user-interfaces (somewhat Mac-
standard) which _should_ allow for easier access and perhaps better
spatial problem-solving by students.  I would be very interested to see
results of similar GIS-related studies executed using these Mac products
versus more traditional PC-MAP, PC Arc/Info products.  I expect that the
Mac can easily accommodate more sophisticated metaphor-based interfaces
in the future, making Mac-based GISs more intuitively like hands-on
geographical/spatial analysis, but only time will tell...

Mike Gould
State University of New York at Buffalo

--
Hal Mueller            hmueller@cssun.tamu.edu          n270ca@tamunix (Bitnet)
Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science