[comp.graphics] PostScript -> HPGL

jwdb@dutnak2.UUCP (12/13/89)

I know that this question has been around one or more times, but at the
time I didn't pay much attention.  Now, however, someone has asked me if
I could get hold of a PostScript to HPGL converter.  It seems to me that
the minimum required is a PostScript interpreter, and as such a thing
just has to exist somewhere I thought I'd rather ask here than reinvent
the wheel (or *a* wheel, at least :-)).
So, does anyone know if such a program already exists, and if not,
are there any similar programs wherein a PostScript interpreter is
imbedded (and of which the source is available; we could always add
our own HPGL translator).
(I guess you should know that there is one additional problem: we don't
have an anonymous ftp possibility from our place in the hierarchy.)
E-mail, please.

Thanks for everyone's patience; may your 'kill'-key last forever.
--
JanWillem de Bruijn            ...!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!dutrun!dutnak2!jwdb
Seismics and Acoustics                           jwdb@dutnak2.tudelft.nl

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (12/14/89)

In article <1030@dutrun.UUCP>, jwdb@dutnak2.UUCP writes:

> I know that this question has been around one or more times, but at the
> time I didn't pay much attention.  Now, however, someone has asked me if
> I could get hold of a PostScript to HPGL converter.  It seems to me that
> the minimum required is a PostScript interpreter, and as such a thing
> just has to exist somewhere I thought I'd rather ask here than reinvent
> the wheel (or *a* wheel, at least :-)).
> So, does anyone know if such a program already exists, and if not,
> are there any similar programs wherein a PostScript interpreter is
> imbedded (and of which the source is available; we could always add
> our own HPGL translator).
> (I guess you should know that there is one additional problem: we don't
> have an anonymous ftp possibility from our place in the hierarchy.)
> E-mail, please.
>
> Thanks for everyone's patience; may your 'kill'-key last forever.
> --
> JanWillem de Bruijn            ...!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!dutrun!dutnak2!jwdb
> Seismics and Acoustics                           jwdb@dutnak2.tudelft.nl
> Faculty of Applied Physics         Discipline is never an end in itself,
> Delft University of Technology         only a means to an end.

The QMS PS-800 and 810 have a HPGL interpreter built in.  I have a
piece of code that allows you to turn it on and off fromwithin postscript.
The Laser Connection, in mobile alabama may have one.  I have started working
on one.  Conceptionaly it is fairly easy, an input scanner, parser, amd printer.
Somewhere I have a document outlining HPGL, but I'm not sure just where.  IF
I could find it, I'd make an estimate for writing one.

Cheers, Woody Baker
512-837-8317

ellenberger@tle.enet.dec.com (My name is...) (07/24/90)

We have a project planning system that puts out postscript graphs spread
across mucho pages.  It would look much nicer plotted on a large-format
pen plotter.  Not knowing postscript very well, I was wondering if theres
any way to post process the postscript output (which is in essence pure
2D graphics) and translate it into HPGL.  This would save writing an HPGL
driver.