[comp.graphics] standard RGB wavelengths?

ld231782@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Lawrence Detweiler) (07/09/90)

-----
-----

Can someone give me the standard wavelengths of the red, green and blue
television/monitor phosphor emissions (or of the Macintosh color monitor in
particular)?  As long as we're at it, what is the range of visible colors
in the electromagnetic spectrum?

Also, since my earlier message got chewed (the mysteriously missing
leading line) I will ask again:

Is anyone familiar with a formula that, given known RGB wavelengths, can
give the intensities (amplitudes) of the waves that most nearly approximate
another wave (or even a superposition of multiple ones)?

The original question was to map the visible range of the electromagnetic
spectrum onto RGB values; but maybe this more specific phrasing above may
ring some bells.  (I'm making the assumption that RGB mappings are actually
superpositioned wave approximations.)  The description has a direct
mathematical analogue to sine waves--is any stuff in Fourier analysis, etc.
applicable?

I have been informed that the problem has not been "satisfactorily" answered;
I find this hard to believe.

Please email responses; I will summarize upon request.

ld231782@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (07/10/90)

> Can someone give me the standard wavelengths of the red, green and blue
> television/monitor phosphor emissions (or of the Macintosh color monitor in
> particular)?  As long as we're at it, what is the range of visible colors
> in the electromagnetic spectrum?

International Commission on Illumination has:

     red = 700.0nm,  green = 546.1nm, blue = 435.8nm

Have seen other numbers such as 700.0nm, 505.0nm, 470.0nm

Specs I have for a SONY Color Monitor (1280x1024) in CIEXYZ space are:

  red = ( 0.64, 0.33 )      +/- 0.02
  grn = ( 0.29, 0.60 )
  blu = ( 0.15, 0.06 )
  white target = ( 0.283, 0.298 )

Range between 400 and 700nm usually.  Depends on person/age.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

poynton@vector.Eng.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (07/26/90)

In article <101880022@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> of Comp.graphics, Thomas J. Gilg
<tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> replies to a query about monitor chromaticity.

The poster of the original query asks:

>> Can someone give me the standard wavelengths of the red, green and blue
>> television/monitor phosphor emissions ... ?

Gilg replies:

> International Commission on Illumination has:
>   red = 700.0nm,  green = 546.1nm, blue = 435.8nm

This is true but misleading.  Practical phosphors emit not just one
wavelength but a complicated spectrum.  Dominant wavelength is generally
not a useful metric for monitors.  Monitor people and colour transform
calculations deal in CIE xyY coordinates, not in wavelength.  Although
they are probably sufficiently close for the poster's purposes, the CIE
wavelengths given do not accurately represent any CRT phosphor set.

> Specs I have for a SONY Color Monitor (1280x1024) in CIEXYZ space are:
[numbers deleted ...]

The numbers quoted comprise the standard EBU (European) phosphor
chromaticity set.  Sony makes -broadcast- monitors with this chromaticity
set, but none of the Sony -computer- displays that I know of use that
set.  A few days ago someone on Comp.sys.mac.programmer asked a similar
question; I attach my reply which includes the Sony numbers.  I also
attach my chromaticity crib sheet with a bunch of other chromaticity
numbers; I enthusiastically welcome any new contributions!

C.

-----
Charles A. Poynton			Sun Microsystems Inc.
vox 415-336-7846			2550 Garcia Avenue, MTV21-10
fax 415-969-9131			Mountain View, CA 94043
<poynton@sun.com>                       U.S.A.
-----

>From: poynton@vector.Eng.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton)
Subject: Re: Need color temperature specifications for Apple RGB monitor
Newsgroups: Comp.sys.mac.programmer

All of the Sony computer displays that I have ever known have the following
chromaticity coordinates:

       x      y      tol  persistence
R   .625   .340   +-.030     1 ms
G   .280   .595   +-.030     40 us
B   .155   .070   +-.016     30 us
W   .283   .298   +-.030  (9300 K +8 MPCD)

I doubt that either Apple or Sony publish these numbers.

For the colour neophytes out there, these numbers represent the absolute
colour reproduced for red, green, blue and white.  One man's red is not
necessarily another's; chromaticity numbers are necessary to compute the
transforms from one colour space to another (even from an RGB space to a
different RGB space).

The RGB x and y values are solely a function of the phosphors of the tube.

The final row is the chromaticity of white, which represents the relative
contributions ("colour balance") among red, green and blue.  Unfortunately
most computer displays are WAY too blue.  Daylight has the same colour as a
chunk of platinum heated to 6500 kelvin, hence the CIE defined standard
illuminant D65 to have this "colour temperature".  Modern blue phosphors are
about twice as efficient as red and green phosphors, with respect to the
sensitivity of human vision and driving all three electron guns in a colour
CRT with the same amount of beam current produces a picture that is about
twice as blue as daylight -- very noticeably blue.  This is done to achieve
the maximum possible brightness, at the expense of colour reproduction.  The
additional brightness over a more sensible choice of 6500 K is only about
5%, due to the eye's insensitivity to blue, but in a market that has
historically had little interest in accurate colour reproduction, a 5%
brightness increase was worth the penalty.

Experts can adjust their monitors for a CIE D65 white point by an internal
calibration adjustment.

If anyone out there has more interest in this stuff, I'll post more detail.

C.

-----

MONITOR CHROMATICITY TABLE

Charles A. Poynton
90/07/25

Original NTSC/FCC (circa 1953, no longer in use):
	   x	   y
R	.67	.34
G	.21	.71
B	.14	.08
W	.310	.316			(CIE Illuminant C, 6800 K)
gamma	light=volts^2.2
luma	.299 R+.587 G+.114 B

SMPTE RP145/Conrac "C" (current N.A. 525/60 broadcast television practice),
	also SMPTE 240M 1125/60 HDTV:
	   x	   y
R	.630	.340	+-.005
G	.310	.595	+-.005
B	.155	.070	+-.005
W	.3127	.3291			(CIE D65, 6504 K)
gamma	light=max[volts*4,((volts+0.1115)/1.1115)^(1/0.45)]
luma	.212 R+.701 G+.087 B

EBU (current European 625/50 broadcast television practice):
	   x	   y
R	.640	.330
G	.290	.600
B	.150	.060
W	.3127	.3291			(CIE D65, 6504 K)
gamma	light=volts^2.8
luma	.299 R+.587 G+.114 B		[known not to match chromaticities]

P22 phosphors (e.g. Hitachi HM-4119):
	   x	   y	tol		persistence
R	.610	.342	+-.016		1.2 ms
G	.298	.588	+-.016		300 us