[comp.graphics] Assumed pixel aspect ratio in GIF images?

tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (07/11/90)

I've been looking at some of the GIF image archives here and there on the
net.  I find that some of the images look just fine on my workstation, while
others are visibly distorted: usually, compressed vertically by 20% or so.
I presume that such images have been set up to look OK on IBM-PC EGA and
similar displays, which have non-square pixels.  However, the extent of the
distortion seems to vary between files; maybe there are different pixel
aspect ratios in common use?

The GIF documentation that I have makes no mention of the question of
pixel shape.  Is there any recognized convention about whether a GIF
image is set up for square or non-square pixels, and what the assumed
pixel aspect ratio is in the latter case?

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu

bli@aludra.usc.edu (I are a college student.) (07/20/90)

In article <9866@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
>I've been looking at some of the GIF image archives here and there on the
>net.  I find that some of the images look just fine on my workstation, while
>others are visibly distorted: usually, compressed vertically by 20% or so.
>I presume that such images have been set up to look OK on IBM-PC EGA and
>similar displays, which have non-square pixels.  However, the extent of the
>distortion seems to vary between files; maybe there are different pixel
>aspect ratios in common use?

This may be totally unrelated to the discussion at hand, so please excuse
the interuption.

My Question:

I have never seen the screen of a Sun close enough to look at the
pixels on its display. Can someone please mail me the aspect ratio
of a Sun display?

I am trying to convert SunRasters to another format, and I need to
know if I can _safely_ assume that all SunRasters have square pixels.

-----
STRESS('stres)n:
      that confusion created when one's mind overrides the desire to
      choke the living daylights out of some jerk who really deserves it.

poynton@vector.Eng.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (07/26/90)

A college student <bli@aludra.usc.edu> writes in <10927@chaph.usc.edu>:

> [Can I] assume that all SunRasters have square pixels?

As long as I am alive and working at Sun, all Sun displays will have unity
sample aspect ratio, a.k.a. square pixels.

> Can someone please mail me the aspect ratio of a Sun display?

By knowing that the pixels are guaranteed square, the display pixel counts
determine the picture aspect ratio: 1152x900 gives a 1.28:1 picture.

Current CRTs have a viewable area of 4:3 aspect ratio so an 1152x900
(1.28:1) or 1280x1024 (1.25:1) display does not quite fill the available
width:  these formats have wider left and right margins than top and
bottom.

There is currently a raging debate about "sample aspect ratio" in the HDTV
standards community.  HDTV is agreed to have a 16:9 picture aspect ratio
(about 1.78:1).  My proposal for digital representation is 1920x1080, just
slightly under 2 Mpx, square pixels of course.  Many "proponents" of
advanced television production and transmission systems have system
parameters inherited from NTSC and many have non-square pixels.

C.

-----
Charles A. Poynton			Sun Microsystems Inc.
vox 415-336-7846			2550 Garcia Avenue, MTV21-10
fax 415-969-9131			Mountain View, CA 94043
<poynton@sun.com>                       U.S.A.
-----