[comp.graphics] bugs

ughtas@diablo.amd.com (Tom Stewart) (08/01/90)

I'm just getting in to image rendering; strictly amateur knowledge level
at this point.  I've picked up version 3.0.1.2 of "rayshade" from some
friends at IBM and have had fun producing simple images (spheres, glass balls,
etc.).  .... buuuuttt I've had problems with more complicated images and
objects.

To make a disgusting story short, we get segment violations or other stray
pointer problems while texturing objects or rendering height fields.

Since I'm doing this mostly for fun and not as a debugging exercise I would
like to hear from anyone who has resolved this problem.  Also, what is the
most current release of rayshade (plus where to get the patches/source for
it).  Plus,  does anybody have source for additional useful objects (torus,
hollow cylinders, etc.)

All in all, I've enjoyed rayshade a lot.  I've also learned a good deal
and remembered some things I haven't thought about in years.

Thanks,

Tom Stewart

P.S.	For your reading enjoyment,  I'm running most images on a sparc
	and AMD 29000/29027.  However, I also run rayshade on my 12 Mhz
	PC-AT -- without a FPU!   (I take long naps and sunbathe a lot!)

craig@weedeater.uucp (Craig Kolb) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug1.153239.15158@mozart.amd.com> ughtas@diablo.AMD.COM (Tom Stewart) writes:
>I've picked up version 3.0.1.2 of "rayshade" from some
>friends at IBM and have had fun producing simple images (spheres, glass balls,
>etc.).  .... buuuuttt I've had problems with more complicated images and
>objects.
>
>To make a disgusting story short, we get segment violations or other stray
>pointer problems while texturing objects or rendering height fields.

Prior to patch #5 (the latest), rayshade had a number of free()-related bugs.
It looks as if you're running at patchlevel 3.  You can ftp a more up-to-date
version of rayhade from weedeater.math.yale.edu (130.132.23.17) in
pub/rayshade.3.0/rayshade.3.0.tar.Z.

A new version of rayshade will rear its head sometime within the next
month or so.

Craig