[net.cooks] Zap!

gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) (12/30/84)

The use of "zap" to mean the verb "microwave" I like to think of
as my invention, but in fact it seems to have sprung up independently
in many places.  It seems such a reasonable usage for a word which
originally came from Flash Gordon comics, to mean to bombard with
(microwave) radiation.

But formalists are still using the verb "microwave", though I think
it sounds cumbersome.  Then again, "any noun can be verbed."

Any other ways to describe cooking with microwaves?
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

37 22'50" N / 121 59'12" W	[ This is just me talking. ]

reid@Glacier.ARPA (12/31/84)

> But formalists are still using the verb "microwave", though I think
> it sounds cumbersome.  Then again, "any noun can be verbed."
>
> Any other ways to describe cooking with microwaves?

In my family we have always referred to it as "nuking" something, e.g.
``Dear, will you please nuke the macaroni for 2 minutes and give it
to the baby?''
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

isis@utzoo.UUCP (n) (12/31/84)

At a local coffee house and falafal "joint" by the "By the Way" formally
know as "Licken Chicken", the counter help "NUKE" the food.  I did
some checking and found 5 or 6 other eateries that use the term.

---------
				Bill McLean @ Ont. Ministry of Health

Overheard:	Some coffee, and for the halibut, nuke it.

--

---------
				Bill McLean @ Ont. Ministry of Health

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (12/31/84)

>> Any other ways to describe cooking with microwaves?

Oh, I can think of a few.  Foolish?  Suicidal?  Lazy?	:-) :-)

But a word I've used on occasion is "mu-wav".  ("Wav" rhymes with "have".)

I also refer to the dishwasher as a "wishdasher," since I used to have to
load or unload it as a kid when I really wanted to go out and play.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) (12/31/84)

> The use of "zap" to mean the verb "microwave" I like to think of
> as my invention, but in fact it seems to have sprung up independently
> in many places.  It seems such a reasonable usage for a word which
> originally came from Flash Gordon comics, to mean to bombard with
> (microwave) radiation.

Well, we always used 'nuke', as in "Jim, could you nuke me some coffee?"
--
Elizabeth Hanes Perry
UUCP: {decvax|linus|cornell}!dartvax!betsy

upstill@ucbvax.ARPA (Steve Upstill) (12/31/84)

   How about 'nuke'.  Has the right amount of wry humor, esp. in the
politically correct Bay Area.

Steve U.

brian@sdcc3.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (01/01/85)

> The use of "zap" to mean the verb "microwave" ....
> But formalists are still using the verb "microwave", though I think
> it sounds cumbersome.  Then again, "any noun can be verbed."
>
> Any other ways to describe cooking with microwaves?

Around here, it is common to hear someone refer to
``nuking it in the microwave''.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	akgua  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way...

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (01/01/85)

> From: gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett)
> Date: 30 Dec 84 05:08:16 GMT
>
> But formalists are still using the verb "microwave", though I think
> it sounds cumbersome.  Then again, "any noun can be verbed."

While some might claim that "any noun can be verbed", I maintain
that all generalizations are bad.

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{cbosgd,idi,intelca,icalqa,kremvax,qubix,ucscc} ! {t4test,t12tst} ! {chip,news}

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (01/01/85)

Sure! there's other words useful for describing the process
of heating food (or whatever) in the microwave. You can "mic"
it, but my favorite is "nuke". (especially if the power dial is set
to "high")

"Nuke that sucker for about a minute and a half on 'high'."

As far as "ZAP" goes, there's a book out, called "The Zapping of America",
describing some of the places you get zapped, and what it does to your body.
I haven't read it myself, the hour lecture was terrifing enough, thank you.

(And you thought speed traps were safe, as long as you were going slow
enough!  HA!)
        _____
	|___|		the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_			Snoopy
       \_____/		tektronix!tekecs!seifert <- NEW ADDRESS !!!
        \___/

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (01/02/85)

A friend of mine refers to microwaving things as 'nuking'.

						-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

wear@osu-eddie.UUCP (Georgia Wear) (01/03/85)

> Sure! there's other words useful for describing the process
> of heating food (or whatever) in the microwave. You can "mic"
> it, but my favorite is "nuke". (especially if the power dial is set
> to "high")
>
> "Nuke that sucker for about a minute and a half on 'high'."

	You "nuke it til it glows, so you can eat it in the dark"

			---georgia

mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (01/04/85)

	(Posted on behalf of Jeff ``Great Skot'')

[this line may be zapped]
>the use of "zap" to mean the verb "microwave"

>we use "nuke" as in "nuke me some coffee"

	As an EE and infrequent user of microwave devices, I feel
obligated to "irradiate" my food.  It's a verb! It describes what you
want it to! Look that up in your Funk & Wagnels!!!!!

			|  Jeff 'oh no -- not another' Skot	|
			|  at beautiful downtown Somerset NJ	|
			|  AT&T Info Systems			|
			|  ..!abnji!jeff			|

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou4b!mat
    ,..      .,,       ,,,   ..,***_*.

doyle@genrad.UUCP (Rick Doyle) (01/05/85)

In article <817@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) writes:
>The use of "zap" to mean the verb "microwave"
>
>But formalists are still using the verb "microwave", though I think
>it sounds cumbersome.  Then again, "any noun can be verbed."
>
>Any other ways to describe cooking with microwaves?
>--
>Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam
>
>37 22'50" N / 121 59'12" W	[ This is just me talking. ]

I "NUKE IT" when I microwave anything.I started it in school
and it really caught on there,but in the real world some
people dgive me the strangest looks when I say it.

Rick Doyle

anne@digi-g.UUCP (Anne Chenette) (01/07/85)

We always "zart" things in our microwave.  We "beam" coffee, but
that's because when one opens the mu-wave door, there's always
a cup of coffee in there (we figured out that beings in another
dimension are beaming us the coffee so that we'll always have some).

				Anne Chenette
				ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!anne

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (01/19/85)

>    How about 'nuke'.  Has the right amount of wry humor, esp. in the
> politically correct Bay Area.
>
> Steve U.

     I've heard some of the programmers around here use 'nuke' to mean
'destroy', as in "the program nuked the file-system".
For 'microwave', I've heard 'wave' used as a verb.
But then, I refer to ice cubes as "thermal attenuators".

                     Kchula-Rrit

dan@rna.UUCP (01/20/85)

	Another microwave descriptor: "dinking"

	Dinking refers to the usually insidious electronic dink sounds
that most microwave ovens make as you enter commands and it completes them.

					Dan