[comp.graphics] Personal IRIS

jhpark@cs.utexas.edu (Jihun Park) (07/31/90)

I am considering to buy a personal IRIS. I have no information about the
Silicon Graphics co. Does anyone know some information about personal
IRIS ? May I get some information about price and address(e-mail) of
Silicon Graphics co. ?

Thanks in advance.
---
Jihun Park

gordon@cs.tamu.edu (Dan Gordon) (07/31/90)

The IBM RISC-based 6000 workstations apparently have the same
graphics engines as the SGI. However, their processors seem to
be much faster (according to figures provided by IBM). Does
anybody have any data that compares these machines with the
various Silicon Graphics workstations? Please post or email to

gordon@cs.tamu.edu

Thanks - Dan Gordon.

allenb@sgi.com (Allen Buchinski) (08/01/90)

In article <850@earth.cs.utexas.edu> jhpark@cs.utexas.edu (Jihun Park) writes:
>I am considering to buy a personal IRIS. I have no information about the
>Silicon Graphics co. Does anyone know some information about personal
>IRIS ? May I get some information about price and address(e-mail) of
>Silicon Graphics co. ?

The best place to get this kind of information is directly from a
Silicon Graphics sales representative.  In your case, the nearest
office is right in Austin.  The phone number is 512-459-0994.  I'll
pass your name along to them so you can start a dialog.

Allen Buchinski
Silicon Graphics, Mountain View, CA
allenb@sgi.com

gad@spatial.com (Gordon A. Durand) (08/02/90)

In article <7009@helios.TAMU.EDU> gordon@cs.tamu.edu (Dan Gordon) writes:
>The IBM RISC-based 6000 workstations apparently have the same
>graphics engines as the SGI. However, their processors seem to
>be much faster (according to figures provided by IBM). Does
>anybody have any data that compares these machines with the
>various Silicon Graphics workstations?

No hard data here, just some opinions formed after trying to use both
machines.  Anyway, we have a couple of Personal Iris workstations
(a 4D20 and a 4D25) and are pretty happy with them.  We see some
occasional NFS weirdness, but they are a fairly solid platform.
The processor is pretty fast and SGI's GL graphics library screams.
Unfortunately, the SGI version of X is fairly slow (but getting better).

-- FLAME ON --

We recently got two RS/6000s and I think they are pretty much a waste of
good electricity.  Our local IBM guy has been trying for nearly a month
to get one of the machines to work on our ethernet.  Still no luck.
Also, don't get tricked into believing that AIX is Unix, it's "Unix like".
We have been experiencing a lot of grief trying to port C++ to the IBM because
of IBM's peculiar variations of the C compiler and linker.  The RS/6000 also
seems to be rather unstable, we see far too many mysterious system hangs.
On the plus side, the machine is generally very fast, although their X is
nothing special (my HP9000/375 runs X much faster).  My overall impression
is that this machine is at about an "alpha state".  Perhaps IBM got in
too much of a hurry to get to market and thought they could get away with
shipping junk.  Isn't it nice to know that even the giants screw up :-).

-- FLAME OFF --

As always, these are my opinions.  For all I know, my employer thinks that
the RS/6000 is wonderful.
--
----
    Gordon Durand                 gad@spatial.com

steve@olympus.wrcr.unr.edu (Stephen Wheatcraft) (08/02/90)

In article <7009@helios.TAMU.EDU> gordon@cs.tamu.edu (Dan Gordon) writes:
>The IBM RISC-based 6000 workstations apparently have the same
>graphics engines as the SGI. However, their processors seem to
>be much faster (according to figures provided by IBM). Does
>anybody have any data that compares these machines with the
>various Silicon Graphics workstations? Please post or email to
>
>gordon@cs.tamu.edu
>
>Thanks - Dan Gordon.

I have been doing some benchmark comparisons of IBM
R-6000, Sun 3/80, Sun 3/280 and Sillicon Graphics
Personal Iris 4-D25TG. I don't have the figures for the
SGI machines, but here are the numbers for the others:

Sun 3/80 w/ 68881 - non-optimized code
      100.8 real        97.4 user         0.6 sys
      339.0 real       332.4 user         0.9 sys
       52.4 real        49.7 user         0.7 sys
479.8u 3.5s 8:15 97% 0+416k 8+75io 33pf+0w

Sun 3/280 w/fpa - non-optimized code
       81.6 real        47.4 user         2.6 sys
      209.7 real       195.0 user         1.6 sys
       38.5 real        35.6 user         0.5 sys
278.3u 5.4s 5:32 85% 0+416k 18+114io 6pf+0w

IBM Risc 6000 320 - optimized code
	6.0 real         5.9 user         0.0 sys
       10.0 real         9.7 user         0.2 sys
        8.5 real         8.2 user         0.1 sys
Total:
       25.85s real      24.07s user       0.63s sys

Ratios:

Sun 3-80/IBM = 479.8/25.85 = 18.6
Sun 3-280/IBM = 278.3/25.85 = 10.8

The reason that the Sun benchmarks were run using
non-optimized code was that the Sun compiler will
not optimize my benchmark program.
The IBM compiler was able to optimize it.

The benchmark is a set of three programs:
1. 2-d fast fourier transform (128x128 points)
2. multi-grid fluid flow (in porous media) solver
3. particle tracking solute transport in porous media

The SGI people are currently running the same programs on
a SG PI 4D-25TG. I will post the final results here in a
few weeks (after I get back from vacation).

As you can see, the speed up of the IBM relative to the
Sun machines is quite impressive, better than their
published mips ratio (27.5/3). Part of the reason is that
the Sun compiler would not optimize the second program
(for reasons I won't get into!). Nevertheless, these are
real numbers, real applications, not pac benchmarks.

Steve Wheatcraft                Internet: steve@olympus.wrc.unr.edu
Desert Research Institute                 (134.197.1.70)
University of Nevada System     Bitnet  : steve@unsvax.bitnet
P.O. Box 60220                  AT&T    : (702) 673-7393
Reno, NV 89506                  FAX     : (702) 673-7397

evensen@cgl.ucsf.edu (Erik-Robert Evensen%Kollman) (08/04/90)

I'm new at posting and I just started reading comp.graphics today.

Now, I admit that I am not a hard core graphics person (despite my
affiliation with CGL) -- my degree is in biochemistry and most of
my background is in writing "numerically intensive" molecular dynamics
simulation code.  However, for the past 9 months I have been writing
an application which serves as a front end and model builder for our
MD code.  This application, by nature, is interactive and I have been
working on the graphics interface part of the program for the past
month and a half.  In the mind of fairness and complete disclosure, I
should say that I worked for IBM last summer and I still work
very closely with some people at the IBM Palo Alto Scientific Center
and count some IBMers among my close friends.  I also feel that I have
been treated very well by the SE's at the San Francisco branch office.
Now, I'm sure that this makes me somewhat biased toward the IBM machine
but I would not put my "professional reputation" on the line my posting
out and out lies about the IBM RS/6000 systems.

That said, I feel compelled to post an opinion which is somewhat
different from what I have seen expressed in this news group regarding
the IBM RS/6000.  I have had a pre-release RIOS (model 320) on my desk for
about 3 months now and I am *very* pleased with the machine.  I've had very
few problems with the machine and my productivity has increased markedly
since I got it.  The only real problem I've had is that the machine
did not recognize anything beyond it's subnet after I rearranged some
of the boards to install the "SGI" cards.  This problem with solved quickly
by the SE who is my contact.  I'm not anything resembling a UNIX wizard
and the SMIT tool has made administering the system quite easy and feasible
for me.  The OS (version 9013) has proven to be fairly stable -- and I
have beat on it pretty hard.

The performance for what I do is almost untouchable when compared to the
other workstations I have seen and used.  For my MD code, it runs about
3-4 times faster than our SS1's and DECstation 3100.  On the same code,
the RIOS runs about the same speed as an IBM 3090 model 300e running
scalar code -- this machine is no slouch in terms of FP performance.
We also have IRISes (IRII?) at our site but I do not use them very
extensively.  I have benchmarked my MD code on the PI and 4D/GT70
and found that the RIOS runs appx 3 times faster than these machines.  All of
the above observations are, of course, problem dependent.  I can't really
compare the interactive graphics performance since I don't have a graphics
application which runs on both systems.  My seat of the pants impression
is that the RIOS is snappier in terms of interactive performance but many
may disagree with me; I've only used the IRIS for a short period of time
and displaying a very small molecule so my comparison is "uninformed" --
take it with a huge grain of salt.

Perhaps the most impressive demonstration of the power of the IBM RS/6000
is in my application (the model builder) I have code which does some of the
numerically intensive calculations from the MD code and displays the
results (building a PHIGS structure for each iteration) in nearly real
time -- that is to say the motion looks almost smooth.  I've had another
user logged into the machine running the numerical intesive code in the
foreground while I was on the console using X windows doing a *large*
compile in one window and running my program using the virtual sphere
controller to do rotations of a molecular wireframe at the same time --
this represents a relatively large load for the system and it performed like
a champ.  Of course there was degradation of interactive response but it
was by no means unacceptable.

The compilers and other development tools are solid in the 9013
release of the code and I expect them to be better in the Golden Code
which I'm supposed to get early next week.  One of the people I work
with (an IBMer) did find a small bug in the xlf compiler in the 9005
release and it was fixed.  I have yet to find a problem with the xlc
compiler and I have about 25 000 lines of not-always-pretty code in
my model builder.  As far as whether AIX looks like UNIX or not, from
my standpoint it is a very familiar environment and I learned most of
my UNIX on a VAX 8650 running BSD and SparcStations running SUNOS.
I'm relatively new to UNIX (came from VM/CMS and VMS) and don't do any
system programming so my views on this matter may not reflect those
of others who are more experienced and / or do "system stuff".

I'm sorry this turned into such a long winded exposition but I hope
it is useful and informative.  I welcome any discussion about the
new IBM machines.  To summarize my impressions in a phrase --
I'm very impressed with the new machines and would buy one (or
several) if it were up to me.

Erik-Robert Evensen
Computer Graphics Lab
University of California San Francisco
coming soon to the ivy covered walls in Cambridge, MA...