[net.cooks] Yet more on ZAP!

billb@tektronix.UUCP (Bill Baker) (01/07/85)

This discussion about terms for "microwaving" is most interesting. However
as a professional spectroscopist and amateur etymologist, let me give the
*correct* answer: NUKE IT! While the term 'irradiate it' is technically
correct, it is rather clinical and uninteresting. The term NUKE has some
emotional oomph, but it is, in a scientific sense, correct and heuristic.

The microwaves are absorbed by the food resulting in the excitation of the
vibrational degrees of freedom in the large molecules. The vibrations aree,
of course, nuclear motion and when they are irradiated with microwave radiation,the nuclei are collectively excited. So much so, in fact, that the molecules
(proteins, wet carbohydrates, & such) change their general conformation. This
is the very process of cooking. In the case of proteins, they become 'denatured'which is another way of saying that they have changed from their natural
molecular conformation.

So nuke them suckers!

This is rather afar from cooking. I'll have to share my handed-down Kentucky
recipes with the net real soon.

					-Jere M. Marrs
					Tektronix, Inc. 50-324
					P.O. Box 500
					Beaverton, OR 97077
					I'm not Bill Baker.

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/08/85)

In article <4696@tektronix.UUCP> billb@tektronix.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
> let me give the
>*correct* answer: NUKE IT!

What's wrong with the verb 'to cook'??

--
"Take this //JOB and run it!"

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

sys5@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (01/16/85)

When my family first got their microwave, they 'zapped' everything.

Recently I've found myself using the term 'mic' (rhymes with like),
as in 'This needs to be miced' (micced?). Or even both terms, as
'Stick that in the mic and zap it'.

edward
...ukma!ukengr44!bennett
(my real address)

"Parts is parts..."

larry@cci-bdc.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) (01/21/85)

> When my family first got their microwave, they 'zapped' everything.
>
> Recently I've found myself using the term 'mic' (rhymes with like),
>
> edward
> ...ukma!ukengr44!bennett
> (my real address)
>
> "Parts is parts..."

i myself prefer the term 'nuke'...

					larry...

uucp:  ..mit-eddie!cybvax0!cci-bdc!larry

arpa:  henrik@mit-mc.ARPA

--
This mind intentionally left blank.