[comp.graphics] MAC -> X

paragano@pedsga.UUCP (Vince Paragano <paragano>) (08/02/90)

Hi -
Does anyone know of a conversion utility for Mac graphics images to and
from the X format (bit/pix maps)?  Also, how about a troff <--> MacWrite/Word
converter??  Any help on any of these would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, the text converter might be called MacRoff from what I hear in AT&T land!
Thanks in advance for any help!
							Vinman
							(201) 758-7708

klong@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (08/07/90)

In article <1362@pedsga.UUCP> paragano@pedsga.UUCP (Vince Paragano <paragano>,APPLE,7708) writes:
>Does anyone know of a conversion utility for Mac graphics images to and
>from the X format (bit/pix maps)?
>
>							Vinman
>							(201) 758-7708

Well, as long as you're not using 24-bit PICT2 images, then opening your
PICT file with the Giffer on the Mac and saving it out as a GIF image
will get it off the Mac and into a format that other programs can
manipulate, like the pbm routines giftoppm | ppmtorast, etc.

If you only need to convert black-and-white PICT images over to X format,
then try xbitmap (I think that's what it's called), a Mac program ftp-able
from sumex-aim.stanford.edu in info-mac/util/xbitmap.hqx.  You'll find
the giffer there too, named gifpicturetools*.hqx.

If you need to convert 24-bit PICT2 images over (such as are created by
Aldus Persuasion 2.0 when you export your slides, even on 8-bit displays!),
then you'll need something tougher like Thomas Knoll's PhotoShop (don't
know who's marketing it--you can call him at (313) 995-8426 ) to open the
PICT2 image and save it out as an 8-bit GIF.

Later,
    Kevin Long
    Baylor College of Medicine
    klong@bcm.tmc.edu