[net.cooks] Hot Toddy

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (12/14/84)

Now the season of the cold and the sore throat is upon us, and same rekindled
my interest in hot toddies.  If you have a favorite, and are willing to share
it, please mail me.  Below is a simple but tasty bedwarmer.

Hot Orange Toddy

1 1/2 cup orange juice
3-4 oz rum (I prefer dark)

Heat the orange juice to very hot, but not boiling (I use 3 minutes in the
microwave on high).  Add rum and stir.  You may wish to add a sprinkle of
nutmeg or a twist of mint.  Some like more sugar than the OJ provides.
Enjoy.

Nemo

beth@umcp-cs.UUCP (Beth Katz) (12/14/84)

In article <4725@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) writes:
>Now the season of the cold and the sore throat is upon us, and same rekindled
>my interest in hot toddies.   ...
>Heat the orange juice to very hot, but not boiling ...

Note that heating orange juice destroys most of the Vitamin C.  I'm not sure
that Nemo intended to link the OJ and C in the toddy to any cures for the
cold or sore throat, and this sure sounds like it will taste good and feel
good on a sore throat, but some people might think that this is a good way
to get more C.  It isn't.  Also beware mixing alcohol with drugs for colda.

Please no flames about the treatment of these ills with megadoses of
vitamin C. Some people believe and others don't.

				Beth Katz
				{seismo,allegra,rlgvax}!umcp-cs!beth

dvw@hopd3.UUCP (D. V. Wilkerson) (01/08/85)

A friend is in need of recipes for hot beverages (preferably with alcohol)
that can be made in massive amounts (i. e., to accomodate 50 people).
Please mail to me by 1/16, if possible (especially if you know how to make
the drink "hot apple pie").

Thanks!!!

Diane Wilkerson
..!hopd3!dvw

earl@tymix.UUCP (A. Christie Earl) (01/10/85)

> A friend is in need of recipes for hot beverages (preferably with alcohol)
> that can be made in massive amounts (i. e., to accomodate 50 people).
> Please mail to me by 1/16, if possible (especially if you know how to make
> the drink "hot apple pie").
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Diane Wilkerson
> ..!hopd3!dvw

Here's the Hot apple pie recipe, and some more favorites

Hot Apple Pie

Hot apple cider in mug
add about an ounce and a half of tuaca
top with wipped cream

In quantities that would be about one and a half to two ounces of liquor
per six ounce serving.  I believe the recipe may be on the tuaca bottle.

Jack the Ripper

Mug of hot chocolate
one and a half ounces (to taste) Youkon Jack
Top with whipped cream

This would be about the same ratio as the hot apple pie

Swedish Glogg

2 1/2 cup rasins
Whole Cardamom
2 tsp whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
peel of one orange
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 gallon dry red table wine
whole unblanched almonds

1. Rinse and drain raisins.  Peel cardamom pods;
extract black seeds,  and pound seed to a powder
to measure 1 tablespoon.  Combine spices, raisins,
orange peel, sugar and eight cups of water.

2. Bring to boiling.  Reduce heat;  simmer for at
least 15 minutes.

3. Strain (save raisins); Add liquid to red wine
in a kettle large enough to accomodate liquid and
wine.

4. When ready to serve, heat to simmering.  Place
two or three almonds and a few reserved raisins
in each punch cup, and pour the hot, spicey brew
over them.  Makes 48 1/2 cup servings.

ENJOY!

--

                      -Christie Earl
		      {...sun!ios ...hplabs|fortune!oliveb}!tymix!earl

  186,000 miles per second.  It's not just a good idea...
      It's the law!!

earl@tymix.UUCP (A. Christie Earl) (01/10/85)

Variations on a coffee theme. I almost forgot about the Ammeretto and Kaluha
coffees.

Add a shot of Ammeretto(get Ammertto de Sinora) or Kaluha for each cup of
coffee (A little of each is yummy, also) and don't forget the dollop of
Whipped cream!

Then of course, the Hot Toddy, Irish Coffee and Mexican coffee are
recipies that are generally avaliable in any bartenders guides.
Take a peek the next time you're in the liquor store, and look on the
liquor labels for more good ideas.

--

                      -Christie Earl
		      {...sun!ios ...hplabs|fortune!oliveb}!tymix!earl

  186,000 miles per second.  It's not just a good idea...
      It's the law!!

lsmith@ut-ngp.UUCP (lsmith) (01/21/85)

Heat apple juice or cider and add ginger brandy.