[comp.graphics] crop marks, reg marks, grays

jwhiting@cdp.UUCP (08/07/90)

If you look at pieces of camera ready artwork, you'll find items like
registration marks, crop marks CMYK boxes, gray scales, etc.  If you use most
DTP tools, you will either have to construct these yourself as separate graphic
elements or have them hand stripped in.

What types of said supplemental tools, or clip art if you will, would you like
to have available to you?  I'm looking for your wish list.

As a sample tool, below is an EPS file that creates registration marks.  Use it
in good health.

Please direct all replies to:
72627,746
cdp!jwhiting@labrea.stanford.edu
[DE3MIR]jwhiting

thanks,
jwhiting

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-1.2
%%Title: reg mark.3
%%Creator: jwhiting
%%CreationDate: 8/6/90
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 36 36
%% copyright 1990 Aldus Corporation
%%EndComments
18 18 9 0 360 arc
0 18 moveto
36 0 rlineto
18 0 moveto
0 36 rlineto
0 setlinewidth stroke

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (08/11/90)

In article <1091900002@cdp> jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:

>If you look at pieces of camera ready artwork, you'll find items like
>registration marks, crop marks CMYK boxes, gray scales, etc.  If you use most
>DTP tools, you will either have to construct these yourself as separate graphic
>elements or have them hand stripped in.
Hand stipping them in would defeat the purpose. The marks are
indicative of the page as it was set. What good is a calibration scale
hand stripped in today on something that was printed yesterday?

Anyway, if you are really at the level that you need these things, the
programs you are using should be able to generate them for you.
Scales, reg. marks, etc are important in b/w photo work, criticle
when it comes to color separations. Here is a partial list of some
Macintosh programs and capabilities:

Adobe Separator which comes with Illustrator 88 for producing
separations automatically puts in registration marks, crop marks, and
scales. Lets you control just about everthing (emulsion up/down,
screens, etc.), but I don't think you can do a lot of compensation for
things like paper type and printing methods. Only separates PostScript
(although you can sneak things in in EPS. Sometimes this can cause it
to fail, however.)

FreeHand has them as options in the print dialogue. Similar
capabilities as Adobe Separator.

PageMaker 4.0 can only produce spot color separations. As such it has
limited capabilities in this area. It can put in crop marks. Most
importanly, you can print to a file for use with Aldus PrePrint,
discussed below.

Quark 2.12 can put in registration marks, crops, etc. It can separate
things done in Quark as well as EPS files. It can not sep TIFF images
and the like. You need an extension program like PrePrint to do the
image stuff, but I'm not familiar with it. 3.0 has been delayed so I
can't tell you much about it. A drawback of Quark is that you can not
bleed the pages. The official solution (I called them) is to increase
the page size to give youself some bleed space. In this case you do
have to put in your own crop marks.

Adobe PhotoShop lets you control screens, put in reg marks, scales,
crop marks, and also lets you control transfer functions to compensate
for printing inks. It can read in all sorts of image files. Really an
incredible program.

Aldus PrePrint has the greatest capabilities of anything I've seen.
I've just begun playing with it however and haven't actually printed
anything (final four color). Puts in scales, reg marks, crop marks.
Lets you control screens. Separates just about anything you can place
in PageMaker and lets you adjust and control images and everything
else. You can control screens, transfer functions, compensate for
colors and ink bleed, adjust for paper type ...

If you were wondering, I'm working for an Apple developer and VAR this
summer that sells a 2D CAD program to design packaging. I do
structural and graphic design of for all sorts of things and have
needed many of the above capabilites.

Sometimes we print spot color on currugated cardboard. Our press has
limited resolution and sometimes we get rubber printing plates,
sometime polymer. We have to adjust for the printing capability which
is pretty crude at this level. Our max screen is about 30lpi and we
have to adjust light because of ink bleed.

When better quality is needed we print paper and labels which a
machine applies to the packaging. Print quality is much better. Four
color is possible.

I've also designed a full color flyer. It will be separated from
Quark.

Paul Eric Menchen
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu