[comp.graphics] More Video Memory?

millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal W. Miller) (08/15/90)

	I am using a 286 system with 640K + 2048K memory and 512K on a
Paradise SVGA video card.  I can currently display 256 colors at a maximum
resolution 640 x 480 pixels.  Any higher (800 x 600, 1024 x 768) and I can
only display 16 colors.  I was wondering if a card existed that would allow
me to increase my video memory to the full 1024 x 768 x 256.

        I was told by the owner of a local computer equipment store that such
a card did not exist, and that the male connector on the top of the card was
for a light pen.

	Assuming the storeowner was right, maybe someone out there knows how
my "+2048" memory (I still get the terms "expanded" and "extended" confused,
but I know the difference between them) could be used as video memory.  Does
such a program exist?  Any info would be most appreciated.

 Neal Miller          |  "Why not go mad?"     |  millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu
 Clarkson University  |        - Ford Prefect  |  millernw@clutx.bitnet

jtevik@gisplot1.nrri.umn.edu (John Tevik) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.212524.6935@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal W. Miller) writes:

>	I am using a 286 system with 640K + 2048K memory and 512K on a
>Paradise SVGA video card.  I can currently display 256 colors at a maximum
>resolution 640 x 480 pixels.  Any higher (800 x 600, 1024 x 768) and I can
>only display 16 colors.  I was wondering if a card existed that would allow
>me to increase my video memory to the full 1024 x 768 x 256.

Orchid has such a board called the ProDesigner II which can be had with
512K or 1M of memory (1M required for 256 colors at 800x600 and 1024x768).
I have the board but have only used it for a couple hours with a borrowed
Sony 1304 monitor.  It does all it claims to do and seemed very snappy
on my 286-8.  It came with drivers for Windows 3, AutoCAD 9 & 10, Lotus,
and Ventura Pub. 1.1 & 2.0.

John Tevik
Programmer
Natural Resources Research Institute
University of Minnesota, Duluth
jtevik@gisplot1.nrri.umn.edu [128.101.45.101]
Voice: 218-720-4247

twegner@mwunix.mitre.org (Timothy Wegner) (08/15/90)

millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal W. Miller) writes:

>I was wondering if a card existed that would allow
>me to increase my video memory to the full 1024 x 768 x 256.

Yes there are - for example, the new Targa VGA can take 1 meg of video
memory and display 1024 x 768 x 256 - I am sure there are others. But
this is a whole new video board, not an add on to you present board.
I am not aware of any software that lets you use computer memory for
graphics memory - I doubt it exists.