[comp.graphics] Sculpt 3D/4D

ellenberger@tle.enet.dec.com (My name is...) (08/08/90)

I've been asked to purchase some graphics software for an Amiga which we use
in a video studio for titling.  The person asked for one of the following:

	Sculpt 4D Jr.  $89.95
	Sculpt 3Dxl    $99.95
	Sculpt 4D     $350.00

The all appear to have the same basic modelling and rendering features.
The person actually requested Sculpt 4D, but when asked why, said "it must be
better because it cost more!"  Well I'm not an Amiga expert, but I know enough
about the software business to know that this ain't necessarily so.

Can anybody explain why we would want one version over another?  This is a
simple local origination studio--we're not going to be doing flying logos for
SIGGRAPH.

Thanks for any illumination (so to speak :-))

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (08/08/90)

From article <14370@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by ellenberger@tle.enet.dec.com (My name is...):
> I've been asked to purchase some graphics software for an Amiga which we use
> in a video studio for titling.  The person asked for one of the following:
>
> 	Sculpt 4D Jr.  $89.95
> 	Sculpt 3Dxl    $99.95
> 	Sculpt 4D     $350.00
>
> The all appear to have the same basic modelling and rendering features.

  I have been using Sculpt 4D for about a year now (currently running it
  on an Amiga 3000) and have been fairly pleased with it's output.  I had
  originally started with Sculpt 4D Jr. and found that it lacked the
  flexibility I needed (my dealer gave me a very nice upgrade path through
  Byte by Byte).  I would recommend Sculpt 4D over Jr because of the
  ability to generate overscan/sever overscan picture (especially for
  television/video work) but I would also recommend that you take a look
  a "3D Professional" (I can't recall who make 3D Pro).  I had a chance
  to look over a 2 hour training tape that comes with 3D Professional and
  recently looked over some pictures that were produced with it (even a
  picture done with the upcoming ray traceing module!) and was very
  impressed!  I will probably be purchasing 3D Professional within the
  next month myself.  3D Professional is in the same price range as
  Sculpt 4D but it has a few more capabilities and the ability to be
  expanded (adding different rendering techniques, textures, etc.).

  Hope this information helps!

_______________     /        /                    /  | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | evtracy@SDRC.UU.NET
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +---------------------
     Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC) - Milford, Ohio

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (08/13/90)

In article <1528@sdrc.UUCP> evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) writes:
... stuff about Sculpt 3D/4D deleted.......
>  television/video work) but I would also recommend that you take a look
>  a "3D Professional" (I can't recall who make 3D Pro).

Progressive Periperals does 3D Pro.

>  3D Professional is in the same price range as
>  Sculpt 4D but it has a few more capabilities and the ability to be
>  expanded (adding different rendering techniques, textures, etc.).

However, before you consider either of these, check out:

Animation Journeyman from Hash Enterprises and
LightWave 3D from NewTek/Allen Hastings

Journeyman is the only 3D animation package I know of on the Amiga
to offer spline surface objects (not polygonally based) and spline
motion paths. This greatly simplifies object creation and makes the
animation of complex motions a breeze. I am not sure of the price on
Journeyman but it should be in the same ballpark as Sculpt and 3D Pro.

LightWave 3D is without a doubt the best 3D renderer available for the
Amiga with features such as environment mapping, bump mapping, image
mapping, procedural maps, transparency mapping, fog, shadows, motion
blur, antialiasing, etc. It is not a ray-tracer so it is blazing fast,
and with the above mentioned techniques you won't care (unless all you
want to render are mirrored balls with recursive reflections). Best of
all, its FREE along with the object modeler, animation, and 24bit
paint program (when you buy a Video Toaster for $1595). Bang for the buck,
this is the best video-graphics package available on ANY platform!

disclaimer: I neither work for nor represent Hash Enterprises or NewTek
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (08/14/90)

In article <45188@masscomp.ccur.com>, mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:

> Journeyman is the only 3D animation package I know of on the Amiga
. to offer spline surface objects (not polygonally based) and spline
. motion paths. This greatly simplifies object creation and makes the
. animation of complex motions a breeze. I am not sure of the price on
> Journeyman but it should be in the same ballpark as Sculpt and 3D Pro.

Martin Hash is selling Animation:Journeyman for $500 from Hash Enterprises.
Call (206) 573-9427 in order to get information about it or order it.
Animation:Journeyman is only being sold directly -- you will not find it in
any stores.

                                                     Wayne Knapp

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (08/15/90)

Not one to pass up such an obvious chance...

I'm currently selling my copy of Sculpt 4D for the Amiga.  It comes with
all the original stuff and I'll let it go for $275 ($75 off the cheapest
mail-order around).

(817)390-2144 8:30-5:30 CST
(817)294-9278 6:30-9:00 CST

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (08/15/90)

In article <1528@sdrc.UUCP> evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) writes:

>   From article <14370@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by ellenberger@tle.enet.dec.com (My name is...):
>   > I've been asked to purchase some graphics software for an Amiga which we use
>   > in a video studio for titling.  The person asked for one of the following:
>   >
>   > 	Sculpt 4D Jr.  $89.95
>   > 	Sculpt 3Dxl    $99.95
>   > 	Sculpt 4D     $350.00
>   >
>   > The all appear to have the same basic modelling and rendering features.

	If you are doing video titling, you may want to look into using a
	good paint program (Deluxe Paint III, Photon Paint, or DigiPaint)
	and a good font package (Kana fonts).

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
= OPEN Software Foundation -- 11 Cambridge Center -- Cambridge, MA 02142

puhuri@niksula.hut.fi (Markus Peuhkuri) (08/16/90)

Mark> Journeyman is the only 3D animation package I know of on the Amiga
Mark> to offer spline surface objects (not polygonally based) and spline
Mark> motion paths. This greatly simplifies object creation and makes the
Mark> animation of complex motions a breeze. I am not sure of the price on
Mark> Journeyman but it should be in the same ballpark as Sculpt and 3D Pro.

Well, there is an another 3D animation package, which does normaly use
polygons to represent objects: Real 3D. It's normal objects are:
Triangle, rectangle, circle, prism, cube, pyramid, ball, cone,
cylinder, hyperbol and cuthyperbol. Those can have define or
indefinete dimensions. Tools are lathe, circular and rectangle tube.
You can use logic operations to create new objects. (and, and_not,
eor, divide, those also with paint). Objects can have different
texture, brilliancy, transparency and index of refraction.
 It's quite fast: Making picture with candlestick (made of two balls,
two cylinder, cone and cuthyperbol, wooden texture) and mirrorball,
two ligth sources (one inside of ball made of matt glass), all on top
of infinete large shack board to HAM, overscan, PAL picture took 75
min.(on stock A500 with 3MBs of memory) This prog only makes HAM-pics,
 but they are *very* clean.

And the most important queston: how to oder? A: I don't know. This
program has been made by two Finns. I only saw this program once and
that part of paper where the address was has disapperad. I wasn't at
that time interested about 3D animation, so all I have is one picture
and piece of paper. :-(
--
* Markus Peuhkuri *  puhuri@niksula.hut.fi