[comp.graphics] Graphics Gems Source Code Available

glassner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Andrew Glassner) (08/16/90)

As many readers of the usenet are aware, at Siggraph '90
Academic Press released a new book, "Graphics Gems" (edited by
Andrew Glassner, published by Academic Press, Cambridge MA,
864 pp, $49.95, ISBN 0-12-286165-5).  The book is a compilation
of many people's work, showing how they solved important problems
in computer graphics.  Many of the Gems are realized with
ready-to-run C implementations, presented in two appendices.

The authors and the publisher are pleased to release this source
code to the public domain: neither the authors nor publisher
hold any copyright restrictions on any of these files. The code is
freely available to the entire computer graphics community
for study, use, and modification.  We do request that the comment
at the top of each file, identifying the original author and the
program's original publication in the book Graphics Gems, be
retained in all programs that use these files.

Each Gem is made available on an as-is basis; although considerable
effort has been expended to check the programs as originally
designed and their current release in electronic form, the authors
and the publisher make no guarantees about the correctness of
any of these programs or algorithms.

All source files in the book are now available via anonymous
ftp from site 'weedeater.math.yale.edu'.  To download the files,
connect to this site with an ftp program.  For user name type
the word 'anonymous'; for password enter your last name.  When
you are logged in, type 'cd pub/GraphicsGems/src'.  Each program
from the book is stored in its own plaintext file.  I suggest you
first download the file README (type 'get README', then quit ftp
and open the file with any text editor); among other things it
describes how to download the rest of the directory, identifies
the administrator of the site (who will collect bug reports, etc.),
and provides a table of contents so you can identify the source files
with their corresponding Gems.

We have enjoyed putting this book together.  It was a pleasure for
me to work with the many talented people who contributed to the success
of this project.  A central theme of the book's philosophy was for
the results to be practical and useful - public release of the source
code is a happy result of this philosophy, shared by the authors,
editor, and publisher.

We all hope this free source code is a useful resource for
programmers everywhere.

-Andrew

---
Andrew Glassner  (glassner.pa@xerox.com)

skrbec@motcid.UUCP (Brad Skrbec) (08/16/90)

glassner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Andrew Glassner) writes:

><DELETED TEXT>

>The authors and the publisher are pleased to release this source
>code to the public domain: neither the authors nor publisher
>hold any copyright restrictions on any of these files. The code is
>freely available to the entire computer graphics community
>for study, use, and modification.  We do request that the comment
>at the top of each file, identifying the original author and the
>program's original publication in the book Graphics Gems, be
>retained in all programs that use these files.

><DELETED TEXT>

I realize that I may be getting just a little anxious here, but
is there any chance that this stuff is available via a listserver
such as simtel?

Also, any opinions as to the best place to find the book?  I've
looked in a few Crown, B. Dalton and Kroch's bookstores, and haven't
seen it yet.  Could just be too early.

Thanks!

| Brad Skrbec                | "For it is the doom of men that they forget." |
| Motorola Cellular          |                             -- Merlin         |
| Arlington Heights, IL      | UUCP: uunet!motcid!skrbec                     |
|                            | Internet: motcid!skrbec@uunet.uu.net          |

guenter@prism.gatech.EDU (Brian Guenter) (08/16/90)

Our server doesn't know about the weedeater.math.yale.edu host. Could you post
the numeric net address as well?

Brian Guenter
College of Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0280
Internet: guenter@cc.gatech.edu

--

sysmgt007@spacm1.uucp (Dean Nedelman) (08/16/90)

In article <11711@arisia.Xerox.COM>, glassner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Andrew Glassner) writes:
> [...MISC STUFF DELETED...]
>
> All source files in the book are now available via anonymous
> ftp from site 'weedeater.math.yale.edu'.  To download the files,
> connect to this site with an ftp program.  For user name type
> the word 'anonymous'; for password enter your last name.  When
> you are logged in, type 'cd pub/GraphicsGems/src'.  Each program
> from the book is stored in its own plaintext file.  I suggest you
> first download the file README (type 'get README', then quit ftp
> and open the file with any text editor); among other things it
> describes how to download the rest of the directory, identifies
> the administrator of the site (who will collect bug reports, etc.),
> and provides a table of contents so you can identify the source files
> with their corresponding Gems.

Well, I tried.  Using the BITFTP service, I was able to do a directory of the
files (all looked interesting), then I had it send me the README file from
pub/GraphicsGems/src.

The README file does not seem to correspond AT ALL to the files in the
directory.  In fact, it is a README file from SUN about some GPX demo software.
(Which actually sounded pretty interesting. I wonder if it would run on my
Vaxstation.... -:) )

I've included the README file that I received at the end of this article.

> We all hope this free source code is a useful resource for
> programmers everywhere.

I hope so too.

> -Andrew
>
> ---
> Andrew Glassner  (glassner.pa@xerox.com)
--
Dean (The Shadow)
| Dean I. Nedelman                     spacm1!sysmgt007@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov  |

 README README README README README README README README README README README

                             Sun Microsystems
                          Graphics Products Division
                                GXP DEMOS
                               **ALPHA**
                       Copyright 1989, Sun Microsystems

OVERVIEW

  These are the ALPHA Release GXP Demo Tapes for Sales Training. They contain
many new and possibly significant demos. A new directory structure and a new demo
facility, Demoman, is provided.

KEY FEATURES

 o  The directory structure allows the installation of both source
    and objects, or just source or just the objects per the machine type.

 o  Demoman is a hiearchical, iconed demo system to make a quicker and more
    rapid display of demos possible. An auto show mode is in the works and
    works in the pixrects demos.

 o  Demoman works in either source or binary tree. The rootmenu works only in
    the object (Sun*)  tree.

 o  A preconfigured login environment is contained in the */dotfiles directory.

 o  GKS and PHIGS libs are provided.

CONTENTS (source and object)
 o GPCI Demos:

   o Shader

   o Objects

   o Proto

   o Toon

   o Movie

 o GKS Demos:

   o Taxi

   o Dynamic Segmentation

   o Text

 o Phigs Demos:

   o Object Editor

   o Rollerball

   o Text

INSTALLATION

   o Setup 'nudemo' account by editing /etc/passwd (as su) with home dir
     the location of GXP (the base directory of the GXP tape).

   o Make nudemo the owner of the directory for GXP and change the group to 10.

   o Login as nudemo.

   o `tar -xvf /dev/rst0 (GXP/src **or* GXP/sun(3 *or* 4)) while at ~nudemo.

   o When done, 'cd GXP/*/dotfiles' and `make install` to get login env up
     in GXP dir.

   o Exit and re-login as nudemo. Enter `sunview` and `cd src *or* sun*`.

   o Enter `demo` and observe startup of demoman.

   o Operate demoman to acquire familiarity.

   o Rootmenu mode is also available.

ASSISTANCE and CREDITS

  o For assistance, call Brian Stacy in GPD Marketing {bri@garp, (415)336-6912}
    or Dennis Baker on the GPD Lego Team {dgbaker@ohmega, (415)336-3518}.

  o While there has been only one packager to blame, Dennis (above), there
    have been many contributors to praise and thank. Area-wise, these many
    contributors range from NAAC (heart of demoman), to the PHIGS and GKS
    teams, to GPD Marketing and the GPD Demo Group. Full credit by name
    is planned by FCS of the GX Demo Tapes (~ 4/27/89). Thanks to all.

fujii@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Fujii) (08/17/90)

	Brian---

	You can contact weedeater.math.yale.edu at

			130.132.23.17

	I believe.

	(Too bad it wasn't around when I was doing graphics
	 animation at Yale!)

	Hope this helps,

	John M. Fujii
	CIS Yale '87
	ACCAD-Animator-at-Large

	Hewlett-Packard, Graphics Technology Division
	Fort Collins, Colorado
	fujii%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com

craig@weedeater.uucp (Craig Kolb) (08/17/90)

In article <1834.26cac5ab@spacm1.uucp> sysmgt007@spacm1.uucp (Dean Nedelman)
writes:
>> All source files in the book are now available via anonymous
>> ftp from site 'weedeater.math.yale.edu'.  To download the files,
>> connect to this site with an ftp program.
[...]
>Well, I tried.  Using the BITFTP service, I was able to do a directory of the
>files (all looked interesting), then I had it send me the README file from
>pub/GraphicsGems/src.
>
>The README file does not seem to correspond AT ALL to the files in the
>directory.  In fact, it is a README file from SUN about some GPX demo software.
[...]
>                             Sun Microsystems
>                          Graphics Products Division
>                                GXP DEMOS
>                               **ALPHA**
>                       Copyright 1989, Sun Microsystems
[...]

Uh, I can assure you that neither this README file nor the demos for GXP
(whatever that is) have ever appeared anywhere on weedeater.math.yale.edu
(130.132.23.17).  I don't know what went wrong with BITFTP, but everything
is downright nifty on this end.

I'll also take this as an excuse to point out that the code in
pub/GraphicsGems/src has been updated very recently.  Those of you who
snarfed straight C files rather than shar files may want to grab the
updated code.

In the new distribution, minor typos and formatting problems are fixed,
a Makefile is included, multi-file gems are broken into subdirectories,
and all file names are < 15 characters in length.

If you have problems with or questions about the archive, drop me a line.

Cheers,
Craig

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (08/18/90)

The permissions on the source code are set to -rw-------.  Makes it kind of
difficult to ftp the files.

Mike.

--
Michael A. Kelly
mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu

martin@slsvax.harvard.edu (Pat Martin) (08/18/90)

I have just tried to FTP from the GraphicsGems subdirectory, both the
/original and ./src subdirectories.  All of these files (with the exception
of one) are owned by "pinheads" and are mode 600 (which CANNOT be accessed
by anonymous FTP).

Can someone at weedeater.math.yale.edu please change the file protections
to allow anonymous FTP?  (At your own convenience, of course... I'm in no
hurry but would like to get a copy in the future).

Thanks...

..pkm
Patrick Martin

craig@weedeater.uucp (Craig Kolb) (08/18/90)

In article <3935@husc6.harvard.edu> martin@slsvax.harvard.edu writes:
>I have just tried to FTP from the GraphicsGems subdirectory, both the
>/original and ./src subdirectories.  All of these files (with the exception
>of one) are owned by "pinheads" and are mode 600 (which CANNOT be accessed
>by anonymous FTP).

Did anybody find a smallish grey brain lying about in Dallas?
I seem to have misplaced mine...

Sorry 'bout that, folks.  In my haste to make the gems unwritable,
I also made them unreadable.  Things *should* be OK now.

Ugh,
Craig

jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) (08/19/90)

  For those of us without ftp capability, who or what do we send mail
to in order to have the source mailed to us?

  Thanks,

  John

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (08/21/90)

Would it be possible to put the files into some sort of format more convinent
to PC users?  I would like some sort of ZIP or ARC file if that is possible.
Also, how does one get on the mailing list for the Ray-Tracing Digest?
Thanks for the help either way.

Michael Kaufman
kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu

p.s.  I tried to send this as a private note, but it kept bouncing.

dgh@eric.ecr.mu.oz (David Hook) (08/21/90)

AARnet/ACSnet sites can now obtain GraphicGems source code
from gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au (128.250.1.63) via anonymous ftp
in pub/GraphicsGems or through fetchfile, (for a general info
file do a "fetchfile -dgondwana.ecr.mu.oz pub/GraphicsGems/GEMS.INFO"
and for a general listing "fetchfile -dgondwana.ecr.mu.oz -LV pub".

Please note this is a clone site of the GraphicsGems code at
weedeater.math.yale.edu, and bug reports, etc... should still be
forward to the adminstrators there. Their addresses are listed in the
GEMS.INFO and README files.

David Hook.

willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) (08/23/90)

> We all hope this free source code is a useful resource for
> programmers everywhere.
>
> -Andrew

	This is a great resource..unfortunately I can't ftp it ( yes..I
	know I shouldn't be asking) but is there an automated mailer that
	will download code from weedeater?

	Thank-you,
	Will