[comp.graphics] Computer Generated 'toons: Disney's Animation Studio

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (08/25/90)

Newsgroups: comp.graphics
Subject: Computer Generated Toons: Disney's Animation Studio.
Expires:
Sender: Scott Sutherland

In article <1990Aug23.192633.9673@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:
>In article <1990Aug22.212806.10856@tc.fluke.COM> mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) writes:
>>
>>Is the present state of the art up to it?  Perhaps.  Are the "top talent in
>>the computer animation field" interested?  Doubtful.  Who would want to be
>>associated with Desktop Cartooning?
>
>Cartoonists?
>
>Seriously, if you provide tools that allow traditional cartoon-type animators
>to produce films faster, more easily, and more cheaply than traditional
>techniques, they will use them.  Right now, the capital cost of computer
>equipment, scanners, and film recorders is still rather high compared
>with the cost of a pencil and paintbrush, and that's the biggest hindrance.
>
>The 3D-object realistic-rendered animation of Tin Toy and its ancestors
>is not the only style of animation, you know.  Maybe you need "top
>computer animators" to produce that style, but there are many other
>styles and many other talents in animation.  And "computer animation"
>has room for quite a few different styles and techniques.

	Most "cartoons" are not 3D, per se.  At least not in the same way
as Tin Toy.  Cells, tweens, etc., are more the norm.  For this type of
animation, I recommend that anyone interested check out the new package
called Disney's Animation Studio for the Commodore Amiga personal computer.
It was written by Leo Schwab FOR Disney (it is an OFFICIAL Disney product
from what I understand) and is designed for doing just this kind of
animation.  There are a number of examples using Mickey, Pluto and other
Disney characters.  I do NOT own the package but I could post a copy of
the reviews it is getting in Amiga magazines if anyone is interested.
I believe that the package retails for just under $200.

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu