[comp.graphics] computer animated 'toons

purwinc@linden.ulowell.edu (Charles Purwin aka root) (08/14/90)

Recently Disney has an animator program to do graphics for 'toons.
It is released for the Amiga currently.  Also, from my own experience
i have made some shorts with an ibm and a custom draw program (my own)
and dumped this to tape (this was done in cga graphics )
it came out okay, remember that the computers have amuch higher resolution
so when you put it on tape it looks decent.  Some of the stuff in "The litte
Mermaid" were done this way..
		charles

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (08/16/90)

In article <24107@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kml@mosquito.cis.ufl.edu (Kevin Lahey) writes:
}In article <16960007@hpislx.HP.COM> gvg@hpislx.HP.COM (Greg Goebel) writes:
}>[ talk about cartoon pap of yesteryear :-) ]
}>(Also interesting "puppetoons" like FIREBALL XL-5 and SUPERCAR, which were
}>ingenious in a limited sort of way ... will current computer-animation work
}>like TIN TOY lead to similar "computertoon" series?)
}
}I was wondering about this myself.  I can't claim to be totally up on the
}latest and greatest in computer graphics, but it seems like it is possible
}to animate relatively simple characters in near real-time.  With some sorta
}high-level language to specify motion, perhaps you could crank out some
}stuff relatively cheaply, as long as you can put up with a relatively
}low level of detail.

I think we've a way to go before that happens. "Tin Toy" took two years
and two million dollars to make.  It could only be done as a cutting-edge
research project. (Question:  What happens when you hire the top talent in
the computer animation field and give them all the time, money and
equipment they want?  Answer:  Tin Toy).  I can't see any for-profit
animation studio investing that level of resources in a three minute
short.

It'll happen eventually, as equipment gets cheaper and more sophisticated,
but don't hold your breath.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp(+)TTI             Illegitimis non

mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) (08/23/90)

In article <19149@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
> I think we've a way to go before that happens. "Tin Toy" took two years
> and two million dollars to make.  It could only be done as a cutting-edge
> research project. (Question:  What happens when you hire the top talent in
> the computer animation field and give them all the time, money and
> equipment they want?  Answer:  Tin Toy).  I can't see any for-profit
> animation studio investing that level of resources in a three minute
> short.
>
> It'll happen eventually, as equipment gets cheaper and more sophisticated,
> but don't hold your breath.

That sounds suspiciously like a major studio mogul saying "you can't make a
movie for under ten million dollars".  A computer generated 'toon doesn't
have to have the level of realism that Tin Toy aspires to.  It has to
relieve the drudgery in creating a 'toon, allowing the artist to be more
creative (try more and different ideas) in roughly the same amount of time.

Is the present state of the art up to it?  Perhaps.  Are the "top talent in
the computer animation field" interested?  Doubtful.  Who would want to be
associated with Desktop Cartooning?

Brian McElhinney	     "If a squirrel farts in the woods, does it smell?"
mce@tc.fluke.com			      --From ZEN FOR AMERICANS, by me.

dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug22.212806.10856@tc.fluke.COM> mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) writes:

>Is the present state of the art up to it?  Perhaps.  Are the "top talent in
>the computer animation field" interested?  Doubtful.  Who would want to be
>associated with Desktop Cartooning?

Cartoonists?

Seriously, if you provide tools that allow traditional cartoon-type animators
to produce films faster, more easily, and more cheaply than traditional
techniques, they will use them.  Right now, the capital cost of computer
equipment, scanners, and film recorders is still rather high compared
with the cost of a pencil and paintbrush, and that's the biggest hindrance.

The 3D-object realistic-rendered animation of Tin Toy and its ancestors
is not the only style of animation, you know.  Maybe you need "top
computer animators" to produce that style, but there are many other
styles and many other talents in animation.  And "computer animation"
has room for quite a few different styles and techniques.

spl@cs.nps.navy.mil (Steve Lamont) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.192633.9673@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:
>In article <1990Aug22.212806.10856@tc.fluke.COM> mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) writes:
>>                                                 ...  Who would want to be
>>associated with Desktop Cartooning?
>
>Cartoonists?
>
>                            ...  Right now, the capital cost of computer
>equipment, scanners, and film recorders is still rather high compared
>with the cost of a pencil and paintbrush, and that's the biggest hindrance.

The materials required for traditional animation may be, in and of themselves,
relatively inexpensive.  However, the *labor* required to paint each of the
individual cels is quite expensive.  In fact, so expensive that very little of
the "animation" (and I use the word advisedly) that you see on TV Saturday
mornings is done in the US any longer, but produced in cartoon factories in the
Far East.  I believe that much of that is now done by computer, as well.

							spl (the p stands for
							pining away for Chuck
							Jones...)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 (subject to change at random)
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93940

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (08/25/90)

> That sounds suspiciously like a major studio mogul saying "you can't make a
> movie for under ten million dollars".  A computer generated 'toon doesn't
> have to have the level of realism that Tin Toy aspires to.  It has to
> relieve the drudgery in creating a 'toon, allowing the artist to be more
> creative (try more and different ideas) in roughly the same amount of time.

That's exactly what Disney Studios does these days.  They do alot of pencil
testing and some motion tests on computers.  There are several other companies
that also use various PC's for animation roughs.

> Is the present state of the art up to it?  Perhaps.  Are the "top talent in
> the computer animation field" interested?  Doubtful.  Who would want to be
> associated with Desktop Cartooning?

Actually, Disney IS associating themselves with Desktop Cartooning.  Disney
just released software for the Amiga called "Disney Presents The Animation
Studio".  Comes complete with Disney drawn cartoons of Donald Duck and others
that you can load and run in real time on your Amiga.  Of course, these
animations are for people to learn animation and for working out moves and
such but not for final output as (from what I understand) it only supports low
resolution output.  Still in all, Disney is a pretty heavy hitter when it
comes to "toons" and they are certainly associating themselves with this
product.  Says alot for the Amiga as I've heard of no plans to make this
available on other platforms.

> Brian McElhinney	     "If a squirrel farts in the woods, does it smell?"
> mce@tc.fluke.com			      --From ZEN FOR AMERICANS, by me.

-- Bob
________ Pro-Graphics BBS - It's better than a sharp stick in the eye! ________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |  Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

uad1077@dircon.uucp (08/25/90)

nney) writes:
>>                                                 ...  Who would want
to be
>>associated with Desktop Cartooning?

I've always felt that Desktop Animation, or Desktop Cartooning if you
prefer, will turn out to be business presentations that are as finished
as, say, the weather, or a popular science program etc., are today.
That's the only way you'll get a) the quality software companies
interested in animation (ask a Wavefront sales manager and he'll
gleefully show you a graph of bugs vs. time - only the last time I saw
it it went the wrong way:-() and b) a sufficient volume to get
costs down.

THe danger in comparing desktop animation to desktop publishing is that
is it a lot easier to produce awful looking animation than awful
looking typesetting (adn look how easy *that* is).  Programs with
safeguards in to protect amateur animators from themselves will be
the *real* challenge.  No wonder Pixar is restricting themselves to
selling a renderer.

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (08/27/90)

In article <4087@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:
>Actually, Disney IS associating themselves with Desktop Cartooning.  Disney
>just released software for the Amiga called "Disney Presents The Animation
>Studio".  Comes complete with Disney drawn cartoons of Donald Duck and others
>that you can load and run in real time on your Amiga.  Of course, these
>animations are for people to learn animation and for working out moves and
>such but not for final output as (from what I understand) it only supports low
>resolution output.

Not true, Animation Studio does support Hi-Res output and includes
dithered fills to increase the apparent color palette selection beyond
the 16 colors normally associated with Amiga Hi-Res.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |