[comp.graphics] XGL Graphics Library

jorge@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jorge Lach) (08/24/90)

--

Could somebody tell me if Sun's XGL graphics library is in any
way compatible to Silicon Graphics'?

Thanx

------------------

jorge@dg.dg.com		Technical Systems Division
Jorge Lach		Data General Corp., Westboro, Massachusetts

	"I speak only for myself, not for my company; in fact, my
	 company does not speak, and it is not really mine..."

herzog@dogwalk.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Herzog, DSGG/DGDO/GSP/MRG/WXYZ) (08/25/90)

In article <828@dg.dg.com> jorge@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:

>--
>
>Could somebody tell me if Sun's XGL graphics library is in any
>way compatible to Silicon Graphics'?

Yes, I can.  No, it's not.

GL is a graphics library for SGI machines.  XGL is a graphics library
for Sun machines running OpenWindows (aka X/NeWS).  The two libraries
have similar purposes, but are not binary- or source-compatible.
I'm not a real SIGGRAPH answer person, but I play one on the net.
Brian Herzog        herzog@Eng.Sun.COM        ...!sun!eng!herzog

robert@texas.esd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (08/25/90)

In article <828@dg.dg.com>, jorge@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:

|> --
|>
|> Could somebody tell me if Sun's XGL graphics library is in any
|> way compatible to Silicon Graphics'?
|>
|> Thanx

Its 'compatible' in name only.
I was told that they are moving to copyright the name XGL.

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	     |\_.^
   	     (@ o)
   *Ackpt!*   {:}

jsw@sgi.com (Jeff Weinstein) (08/26/90)

  Sun's XGL library has nothing to do with SGI's GL.  They are in no way
related.

	--Jeff
--
Jeff Weinstein - X Protocol Police
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems

fsfacca@ZoSo.lerc.nasa.gov (Tony Facca) (08/28/90)

>Could somebody tell me if Sun's XGL graphics library is in any
>way compatible to Silicon Graphics'?

If you take the XGL source code, copy it to an Iris, completely rewrite the
graphics portion to make the appropriate GL calls, then recompile, it might
run.  :-)

But seriously, they are not related in any way.
--
.ahead, warp factor...two