[comp.graphics] Converting an image in a "raw" format to any standard one

mzaik@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Tahsin Mzaik) (09/05/90)

We have a scanner which produces images in "raw" format (i.e.
the image data is stored as a 2-dimenstional array of bytes with no
header).  The question is how to converted to a standard form using
one of the toolkits such as PBMplus.  I checked this toolkit but did
not find what I want.  Any help.

falk@peregrine.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (09/06/90)

In article <5715@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> mzaik@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Tahsin Mzaik) writes:
>We have a scanner which produces images in "raw" format (i.e.
>the image data is stored as a 2-dimenstional array of bytes with no
>header).  The question is how to converted to a standard form using
>one of the toolkits such as PBMplus.  I checked this toolkit but did
>not find what I want.  Any help.

Well, one way would be to slap your own header on the raw data.

Or, see the rawtopgm(1) program in PBM.

Or, see the raw2fbm(1) program in FBM.

		-ed falk, sun microsystems
		 sun!falk, falk@sun.com
		 card-carrying ACLU member.

wes@uh.msc.umn.edu (Wes Barris) (09/06/90)

In article <5715@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>,
mzaik@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Tahsin Mzaik) writes:
> We have a scanner which produces images in "raw" format (i.e.
> the image data is stored as a 2-dimenstional array of bytes with no
> header).  The question is how to converted to a standard form using
> one of the toolkits such as PBMplus.  I checked this toolkit but did
> not find what I want.  Any help.

If your "raw" format means 8 bits per pixel, you can use "pgm/rawtopgm" from
the PBMPLUS toolkit.

The Utah Raster Toolkit (URT) also provides ways to do this.  Check out
either "rawtorle" or "graytorle".

    o      _____            |Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-1854 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX:_624-6550_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
God helps them that help themselves. -- Benjamin Franklin