[comp.graphics] Wall sized video

tomw@orac.esd.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein) (09/06/90)

In article <2982@amc-gw.amc.com>, kenb@amc-gw.amc.com (Ken Birdwell) writes:

> PS: I saw something from MIT that does true 3D display by using a grid of
> piezo-electric and acousto-optic light modulators to generate a normal
> holographic interference pattern that can be recomputed on the fly (if you
> have a connection machine :) but thats something different, and far too
> complicated.

I believe it's far from real time.  Their (unnamed) supercomputer was
about 50 times too slow for that.  They could, however, store a two
second, 20 frame loop in memory and play that continuously.  Also, they
were only able to manage horizontal parallax.

--
Tom Weinstein
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems

kenb@amc-gw.amc.com (Ken Birdwell) (09/06/90)

With all this talk about video walls (walls of CRT's) got me thinking about
real wall sized TV.  Around 1980 a friend of mine was working on a project for
video projection that used a laser as the scanning beam.  The idea was that
since you can get lasers in the exact frequency you want you can get great
colors as bright as you want (well, until the reflecting surface melts).
The goal was to use it as a table sized CAD-layout system (5' by 3' and 16k
by 16k pixels) but as a first step they built a wall sized (8' by 6' and 512
by 480 pixels) TV projector.  Well, the first time I saw it I was blown away
by the intensity of the colors (they were showing Barbrella) and the
brightness (shown in a well lighted room).  Unfortunitly the next thing
I and everyone else noticed was speckel (sp?).  For those of you who dont know
what speckel is, If you've ever seen a laser show its the fuzzyness around
where the beam hits.  Anyway, it totally ruined the picture and they were
unable to get rid of it.  They had reams and reams of physicists come in and
try to solve the problem.  Each one knew what is was, (something different
every time), and each one had a solution that didnt work.  The most popular
explanation was that it was a second order quantum effect??? but no one knew
what to do about it.  One of the worst problems was that it seemed to
get bigger the farther away to where from the reflecting surface. They tried
it in a vacuum, with polarizing glasses, with diffuse surfaces, with just
about everything and no luck.  Well the project died after a few years and
all the other companies that were trying it (about 4) ran into the same
problem so all eventually had to quit.  Does anyone out there know if
there's work being done on the problem?

The reason Im asking is that lately Ive seen some really strange
transmitting surfaces, mainly CRT tube screens made out of millions of
fiber-optic stands (about 1/8" long) packed side by side and melted (well,
fused somehow) together.  The end effect is that the image from one side of
the glass appears to be on the surface of the other side.  This means that
the glass on you CRT appears to have zero thickness, a really cool effect.
It also has a bunch of weird diffusion properties that I thought would work
great for a laser TV. (if youre in WA and have a laser, give me a call. I
can get a small sample of this stuff and try it out)  Has anyone out there
seen a working laser TV system?

PS: I saw something from MIT that does true 3D display by using a grid of
piezo-electric and acousto-optic light modulators to generate a normal
holographic interference pattern that can be recomputed on the fly (if you
have a connection machine :) but thats something different, and far too
complicated.

--

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (09/06/90)

  I did my undergrad thesis on exactly this topic back in '77; two years ago I
saw such a device in operation at a company around Moffet Field in the Silicon
Valley (can't remember the name).

  While the resolution was spectacular and the color was theoretically-optimal,
there were three significant problems: first, the interference-speckle charac-
teristic of coherent monochromatic light, second, a problem with interlaced
video and zero-decay time pixels (phosphor-equivalents), third, and strangest
of all, a sort of crawling of the image reminiscent of a heavy dose of psyche-
delic drugs.

  The fist problem is straightforward and well-understood.  There may be a
phase-randomizing technique to defeat it, but I suspect that it will always
occur with monochromtic light sources - it indeed is caused by phase shifts
in such light.

  The second problem showed up as disappearance of alternate scan lines when
the action moved vertically.  I was mystified by it at the time, but have since
hypothesized that it is a result of intantaneous decay of the image on the
"screen" (whatever that is chosen to be).  This might have the result of the
image decay being relegated to the optic nerves, which are moving (in image
space) with the action, thus causing interlaced scanlines to overlap at criti-
cal vertical motion speeds.  On the other hand, it may have been a strange
electronic problem with the system; impossible to tell, since I'm working from
memory.

  The third problem was truly bizarre.  The image appeared to be swimming,
crawling, billowing, like it was slowly melting.  The company rep said that it
had something to do with the vitreous humor of the eye, but the explanation
didn't fit any physics that I knew at the time.  It was, however, clearly
an effect generated in the human visual system, and therefore perhaps very
difficult to solve.

  The overall effect was quite impressive - a 40 foot wide image with amazing
color and resolution.  But I think that these problems would make it unaccept-
able to the general consumer.  At any rate, the device was for sale, at
~80,000 dollars per unit.  If anyone really wants, I think I can find the name
of the company...

							Ken
--

*===============================================================*
F. Kenton ("Ken") Musgrave	arpanet: musgrave-forest@yale.edu

dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (09/06/90)

In article <2982@amc-gw.amc.com> kenb@belltown.amc.com (Ken Birdwell) writes:
[stuff about wall size laser tv with "spreckels" problem]

>can get a small sample of this stuff and try it out)  Has anyone out there
>seen a working laser TV system?

Where I work (Naval Ocean Sys Cen), they are working on a 3D laser
imaging system.  (I'm not sure how much I can tell you.  They gave me
a Secret level security clearance and all...)  They aim a laser at a
metal device that moves around on the X-Z plane to get depth.  What is
the "spreckels problem"?  Is it that the pixels don't come out sharp?
I noticed that the 3-D images this thing put out were kind of fuzzy,
but I always attributed that to an inaccurate scan...

I think they used diffraction crystals as reflectors, though...

-Dennis

--
Dennis Lou                Disclaimer: I don't use lame disks.
dlou@dino.ucsd.edu         "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (09/11/90)

In article <2982@amc-gw.amc.com> kenb@belltown.amc.com (Ken Birdwell) writes:

>Unfortunitly the next thing
>I and everyone else noticed was speckel (sp?).  For those of you who dont know
>what speckel is, If you've ever seen a laser show its the fuzzyness around
>where the beam hits.  Anyway, it totally ruined the picture and they were
>unable to get rid of it.  They had reams and reams of physicists come in and
>try to solve the problem.  Each one knew what is was, (something different
>every time), and each one had a solution that didnt work.  The most popular
>explanation was that it was a second order quantum effect??? but no one knew
>what to do about it.  One of the worst problems was that it seemed to
>get bigger the farther away to where from the reflecting surface. They tried
>it in a vacuum, with polarizing glasses, with diffuse surfaces, with just
>about everything and no luck.

Speckle is caused by the coherence of a laser beam.  You can think of it
as all the waves in the laser light moving in step with each other.  When
light with this property reflects off a surface interference patterns are
set up that creates an effect that looks like sparkling light.  It only
looks sparkly if you (or the surface) is moving however.  If you can stay
perfectly still there will be a fixed pattern.  So the way to get rid
of speckle is get rid of coherence.  One way is to use a poorly tuned
laser.  Another way is to use a light source other than a laser.  There
might be other ways to remove coherence also, like a thin wedge of glass
to create an uneven phase distribution in the laser beam.  Try asking
in sci.physics.