[comp.graphics] looking for volume data

rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) (09/08/90)

         I've recently hacked together an implementation of
     the Marching Cubes algorithm for "surface-based"
     volume rendering (some would prefer to call it "surface rendering").
     It seems to be working ok with the simple test data that
     I created. The next step is to test it using real volume data.
     There seems to be several popular data sets that appear
     in many volume examples and literature (i.e. the famous MRI
     brain scan of an anonymous woman [I think she has a nickname],
     the tree sloth, the skulls from the Drebin et. al. and Levoy papers).

	 Since this data "appears" to be passed around rather freely,
     I was hoping that someone could tell me where I might find some
     of these sample data sets for testing my software. Hopefully,
     it is public domain and can be acquired via 'anonymous FTP".
     I suspect that NCSA will have some sample data sets with their
     new ISOVIS software.
	 Any leads or suggestions would be much appreciated.

				       Thanks, in advance.

				       Randy Rohrer
				       rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu

      Word-to-the-wise:
     	Never say "A picture is worth a thousand words" at SIGGRAPH
	Never say "User-friendly" at SIGCHI

karel@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Karel Zuiderveld) (09/08/90)

In <26432@mimsy.umd.edu> rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) writes:

>     There seems to be several popular data sets that appear
>     in many volume examples and literature (i.e. the famous MRI
>     brain scan of an anonymous woman [I think she has a nickname],
>     the tree sloth, the skulls from the Drebin et. al. and Levoy papers).
>
>	 Since this data "appears" to be passed around rather freely,
>     I was hoping that someone could tell me where I might find some
>     of these sample data sets for testing my software.

During the 1st Workshop on Volume Visualization (Chapel Hill, NC) people
decided that is was a good idea to be able to compare various algorithms.
This lead to 2 "public domain" tapes with various volume sets, including
MRI and CT datsets.

These tapes are distributed by the SoftLab of the University of North
Carolina, Chapel Hill. You may be able to get more information from
Graham Gash of the Computer Science Department (gash@cs.unc.edu).

Karel
--
Karel Zuiderveld                            E-mail: karel@cv.ruu.nl
3D Computer Vision - Room E.02.222          Tel:    (31-30) 506682/507772

karel@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Karel Zuiderveld) (09/11/90)

In <karel.652784546@prisma> karel@prisma.cv.ruu.nl I replied to this request:

>During the 1st Workshop on Volume Visualization (Chapel Hill, NC) people
>decided that is was a good idea to be able to compare various algorithms.
>This lead to 2 "public domain" tapes with various volume sets, including
>MRI and CT datsets.
>
>These tapes are distributed by the SoftLab of the University of North
>Carolina, Chapel Hill. You may be able to get more information from
>Graham Gash of the Computer Science Department (gash@cs.unc.edu).

Unfortunately, I gave the e-mail address of the wrong person. PLEASE
send requests for information on the volume datasets directly to the
SoftLab of UNC (e-mail softlab@cs.unc.edu).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Karel