[comp.graphics] Scientific "auralization" -- request for info

jf@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Joan Francioni) (09/10/90)

I am working on the problem of "auralization of parallel program behavior",
i.e., using sound rather than (or in addition to) visual graphics to portray
the behavior of the programs.  If you know of any work that has been done in
this area, or the general area of "scientific program auralization", please
send me the reference or a contact.  I will post a summary if there is enough
interest.  Thanks.

Joan Francioni
Computer Science Department
Univ. of Southwestern Louisiana
Lafayette, LA  70504
318/231-6602
jf@gator.cacs.usl.edu

mpogue@dg-rtp.dg.com (Mike Pogue) (09/11/90)

In article <14366@rouge.usl.edu>, jf@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Joan Francioni)
writes:
|> I am working on the problem of "auralization of parallel program
behavior",
|> i.e., using sound rather than (or in addition to) visual graphics to
portray
|> the behavior of the programs.  If you know of any work that has been
done in
|> this area, or the general area of "scientific program auralization",
please
|> send me the reference or a contact.  I will post a summary if there
is enough

    I believe that George Grinstein's group up at University of Lowell
(MA)
was doing some investigation in this area.

Mike Pogue
Data General

Speaking for myself alone....

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (09/12/90)

In article <14366@rouge.usl.edu> jf@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Joan Francioni) writes:
>I am working on the problem of "auralization of parallel program behavior",
>i.e., using sound rather than (or in addition to) visual graphics to portray
>the behavior of the programs.  If you know of any work that has been done in
>this area, or the general area of "scientific program auralization", please
>send me the reference or a contact.  I will post a summary if there is enough
>interest.  Thanks.
>
>Joan Francioni
>Computer Science Department
>Univ. of Southwestern Louisiana
>Lafayette, LA  70504
>318/231-6602
>jf@gator.cacs.usl.edu

I don't know of any specific article references but I have heard that the
air force has done a fair amount of research into selecting the best
audio tones and synthesized voices to communicate information to pilots
flying in intense situations.
There may be some research into aids for the blind that would be
applicable also.

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (09/12/90)

We had a Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH meeting on sound.  I wanted
Peter Langston, but we had an interesting talk by M. Blattner (2 yrs? ago)
of LLNL on Earcons.  A technical report is available from her.
Their interest was nuclear reactor control room design
and user interfaces (hence the "earcon" parallel to "icon",
the proper cognitive parallel to "icon" is "echo").
[Strange Steve must have forgot to post this to comp.parallel.]

The problem with sound is that it does not scale easily.  It is
more of an artifact (curosity) rather than real data: such as the
Voyager radio astronomy data or examples like working in a machine
room and hearing relays or disk arms move in unison.

--e.n. miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,most gateways}!ames!eugene