[net.cooks] need guacamole recipe

mazur@inmet.UUCP (01/15/85)

After spending four weeks in LA, I've become a real fan of guacamole.  I'd
appreciate a recipe if you have one, and I'd especially appreciate any
info on how to tell when the avocado is ripe.  Is it supposed to be white
on the inside?

Beth Mazur
{ihnp4,ima,harpo}!inmet!mazur

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (01/15/85)

> After spending four weeks in LA, I've become a real fan of guacamole.  I'd
> appreciate a recipe if you have one, and I'd especially appreciate any
> info on how to tell when the avocado is ripe.  Is it supposed to be white
> on the inside?
>
> Beth Mazur
> {ihnp4,ima,harpo}!inmet!mazur

An avacado should be firm but not hard, yielding to moderate pressure when
it is ripe.  The meat should be yellow near the center to green near the
skin.  Depending on the variety, it may appear green to black on the outside.
Most stores up north seem to buy them underripe, and let them ripen in the
store.  They have less flavor this way, but I guess they would have too great
a spoilage otherwise.  I prefer to buy ones which are not quite soft, even if
they have a couple of bruises, in order to get better flavor.

Guacamole

One ripe avacado
juice of 1/2 lemon
one small clove garlic, crushed
one small onion, finely chopped (~2 tbsp)
one tomato, chopped (optional)
salt

Cut avacado, remove pulp, discarding bruised parts.  Mash it thoroughly
with the garlic and onion.  Add salt and lemon juice to taste.  Garnish
with tomato.  The lemon is important not only for taste, but also to keep
the avacado from turning brown.  (If you use half an avacado, rub the other
half with lemon juice before storing it and it will keep better).  Some
misguided souls put sour cream or even mayonaise in their guacamole, but
I find avacados sufficiently creamy without them.

Another really delicious treat, especially when you have an avacado with
a large pit, is to cut the avacado in half, remove the pit, and put fresh
tomato soup in the hole.  The avacado melts from the hot soup, making a
sort of cream soup around the edges.  Mixing bites of soup with bites of
avacado puts me in doggie heaven!  Replenish the soup p.r.q. as the avacado
usually seems to outlast the soup three to one.

Fresh Tomato Soup (definitely a seasonal dish)

Two large onions, cut up
3 tbsp olive oil
2 pints (about 6 to 8) peeled tomatoes
salt (about 1/2 tsp usually does it)
pepper
dill

Peel tomtatoes by scalding them for about one minute in rapidly boiling
water, then letting them cool.  Loosen the skins up further by rubbing
and pinching, then peel them.  In the meanwhile, saute the onion in the
olive oil until translucent (about 5 minutes on medium heat) in a 1 1/2 qt.
sauce pan (or larger).  Crush the peeled tomatoes over the pot and simmer
for ten minutes.  Add dill (several shakes if dry, one or two sprigs if
fresh), pepper and salt to taste.  Simmer for another 20 minutes if you
can resist that long.  This method leaves the tomato seeds in, which is
objectionable to some folks.  To avoid this, you may either attempt to
remove the seeds after peeling by cutting through the tomatoes' "equators"
and scooping the seeds out, putting that pulp through a seive or food mill.
This method tends to miss a few seeds, but retains the lumps of tomato in
the soup.  Alternatively, and much easier and reliable, you may reserve
the onions, cook the tomatoes for twenty to thirty minutes, then put them
through a food mill.  This way you don't even have to peel them, but you
get fresh tomato puree without the lumps.  Return the puree and the onions
to the pot add spices and procede.  In a pinch (or a hurry), canned peeled
tomatoes may be used.

Enjoy,
Nemo

sks@mb2c.UUCP (Sam Spitzner) (01/16/85)

[]
A guacamole is ripe if it is soft to the touch.  If it is hard, it will
taste bitter.  The color is dependant upon the type of guac you get.  I
have noticed that those coming from California are smoother skinned, and
lighter in color.

As far as making the dip, I use raw onions (chopped fine), salt, pepper
(I prefer cyanne), garlic, lemon juice (also keeps it from turning black),
and oregano.

ecl@ahuta.UUCP (e.leeper) (01/16/85)

REFERENCES:  inmet.1888, <299@mb2c.UUCP>

> From: sks@mb2c.UUCP (Sam Spitzner)
> A guacamole is ripe if it is soft to the touch.  If it is hard, it will
> taste bitter.  The color is dependant upon the type of guac you get.  I
> have noticed that those coming from California are smoother skinned, and
> lighter in color.

Slight grammar flame--there is no such thing as "a guacamole".  Guacamole is
the dip made from an avocado.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...{ihnp4, houxm, hocsj}!ahuta!ecl

djw@qumix.UUCP (David Wright) (01/17/85)

> After spending four weeks in LA, I've become a real fan of guacamole.  I'd
> appreciate a recipe if you have one, and I'd especially appreciate any
> info on how to tell when the avocado is ripe.  Is it supposed to be white
> on the inside?
>
> Beth Mazur
> {ihnp4,ima,harpo}!inmet!mazur
Here is the recipe I use for guacamole.

3-4 Ripe avacodoes
1 Large red onion, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Bottle of Salsa Ranchero

Avacado should be soft bu not mushy.
Scoop avacado meat into a bowl and mash with fork.
Add lemon juice and chopped onions.
Add bottle of salsa. Salsa should be thick for best results.
Above quantities should be adjusted to your personal taste,
as should the type and brand of salsa you buy or make.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/18/85)

The posted guacamole recipe had no hot pepper or other source of hotness;
I've grown used to expecting some form of jalapeno in my guacamole, but
maybe I've been warped by the midwestern variety of Tex-Mex...

Anyway, here's my simple and quick guacamole recipe; probably totally
inauthentic, but easy and rapid:

Halve one ripe avocado, remove seed, scoop out meat into bowl, scraping
the rind to be sure you get all of the ripest part. Sprinkle salt over
the avocado meat and add a squirt of lemon or lime juice (either fresh
or from that bottle in your refrigerator) (don't use the sweetened "drink"
lime juice, like Rose's) and mash it all together with a fork. (It should
remain somewhat lumpy.) Then spoon in hot or medium salsa to taste. This
can be Old El Paso taco sauce, or, better, one of the varieties of "chunky"
salsa -- the more onion and pepper bits you get in, the better. Stir.
You can add sour cream if you like that in your guacamole, but I think it's
better without doing that.

(I've been trying the various brands of salsa that show up at local markets
and, surprisingly, the Old El Paso salsa is just about as good as any, and
better than some. If anyone has done any detailed comparisons of these
commercial brands, and also compared them with homemade, please post a
review!)

Anyway, that's all. It's ready for use as a topping or to eat with chips.
(Hint: nuke your chips a minute in the microwave first, especially if
you can find the restaurant-style real tortilla chips.)

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

earl@tymix.UUCP (A. Christie Earl) (01/19/85)

> After spending four weeks in LA, I've become a real fan of guacamole.  I'd
> appreciate a recipe if you have one, and I'd especially appreciate any
> info on how to tell when the avocado is ripe.  Is it supposed to be white
> on the inside?
>
> Beth Mazur
> {ihnp4,ima,harpo}!inmet!mazur

It looks like a ripe avocado has been sufficiently described, but I haven't
seen my favorite guacamole recipe yet, so here it is:

2 ripe avocados
1 tomato chopped coarsely
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
garlic salt
jalepeno salsa to taste
dried red pepper
cumin
1 tsp lemon juice
2 heaping tablespoons of sour cream
  (added just before serving)

  I kind of just mix it all together and add the hot stuff and spices
  to taste, and I generally like it fairly toasty.  It needs to set
  for awhile ~ an hour or so, for the dried peppers and the cumin
  to reach their potential.  When I do that, I taste it and add the
  salsa (as needed) LAST.

  Enjoy.

--

                      -Christie Earl
		      {...sun!ios ...hplabs|fortune!oliveb}!tymix!earl

  186,000 miles per second.  It's not just a good idea...
      It's the law!!

jlup@cci-bdc.UUCP (John Lupien ) (01/19/85)

> []
> A guacamole is ripe if it is soft to the touch.  If it is hard, it will
> taste bitter.  The color is dependant upon the type of guac you get.  I
> have noticed that those coming from California are smoother skinned, and
> lighter in color.

 At least in the northern states, large avocados tend to be quite
 soft, frequently even somewhat rotted. Be sure that the ones you
 buy are a little firm (they shouldn't squish, but they should
 give a little on light finger pressure).

> As far as making the dip, I use raw onions (chopped fine), salt,
> pepper (I prefer cyanne), garlic, lemon juice (also keeps it from
> turning black), and oregano.

Hot sauces and other spicy/hot items (jalapen~o, curries) mixed in
helps satisfy the exotic taste.

I like avocados best in a sandwich, sliced thin and covered with
sprouts on a bed of cream cheese. We call it a "California Special"
in Boston; has it a wider following? What is it called in CA?

		John Lupien

<imaginary data>

rpf@ptsfb.UUCP (Roy Falk) (01/20/85)

> After spending four weeks in LA, I've become a real fan of guacamole.  I'd
> appreciate a recipe if you have one, and I'd especially appreciate any
> info on how to tell when the avocado is ripe.  Is it supposed to be white
> on the inside?
>
> Beth Mazur
> {ihnp4,ima,harpo}!inmet!mazur

Condolences on having to spend so much time in LA (El Lay).

Avacodos are no supposed to be white *anywhere*, maybe it
was a coconut you saw and an Pina Colada you were enjoying.

Ha, ha, ha........

Ripe avacodos are soft to the touch.  For some good "guac"
try this:

	Two ripe avacodos
	1/2 cup salsa
	1 large garlic clove, crushed
	1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
	juice of 1 fresh lime

Peel the avacodos, remove the seed and mush together with
the other ingredients.

Heuvos Rancheros, Amigos!

--
Roy Falk
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?..........root knows!

uucp={ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rpf
voice=415 774-1325
physical=37 49.6 N  122 25.3 W

suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) (01/22/85)

Here's yet another recipe (sort of) for guacamole...there
aren't any standard measurements because, well, I make it by
standing at the kitchen counter and throwing stuff in until it
tastes right.  What I use:
	A couple of large, ripe, yummy avocadoes
	a dash or three of red wine vinegar
	a pinch of salt
	a sprinkle of garlic powder
	a little dried onion
	a bit of cumin
	a liberal dose of Tabasco pepper sauce (accept no
		substitute)
	some ground black pepper
	(optional tomatoes chopped up, but only if they're
		good and ripe)

How I make it:
	Mush it all up in a bowl.

Simple, no?

Yum!
			Monica

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/26/85)

In article <117@cci-bdc.UUCP> jlup@cci-bdc.UUCP (John Lupien ) writes:
>I like avocados best in a sandwich, sliced thin and covered with
>sprouts on a bed of cream cheese. We call it a "California Special"
>in Boston; has it a wider following? What is it called in CA?

 Here in CA we call it 'lunch'.

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

bruce@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Reynolds) (01/31/85)

<<<<>>>>>

My guacamole recipe includes one ingredient that I have not seen in any other
posting:

			***  Coriander!  ***

Use maybe a tablespoon or less?  My dictionary reports that coriander is often
used in apple pie or sausage.  It is an herb of the carrot family, according
to Webster's, and may be found on any kitchen or supermarket shelf.

					bruce

Bruce M. Reynolds
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
{uw-beaver,decvax!microsof,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,ssc-vax}!fluke!bruce
(206) 356-5421

suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) (02/02/85)

In article <320@vax2.fluke.UUCP> bruce@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Reynolds) writes:
><<<<>>>>>
>
>My guacamole recipe includes one ingredient that I have not seen in any other
>posting:
>
>			***  Coriander!  ***
>

>Use maybe a tablespoon or less?  My dictionary reports that coriander is often
>used in apple pie or sausage.  It is an herb of the carrot family, according
>to Webster's, and may be found on any kitchen or supermarket shelf.
>
>					bruce

Coriander (also known as cilantro or Chines parsley) is GREAT
when used fresh in salsa.  Chop it and toss it in; it adds
that something that you sometimes think is missing but don't
know what it is...

--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Monica Nosek         Reed College, Portland, OR

chris@byucsa.UUCP (Chris J. Grevstad) (02/06/85)

<>
	> A guacamole is ripe if it is soft to the touch.  If it is hard, it will
	> taste bitter.  The color is dependant upon the type of guac you get.  I
	> have noticed that those coming from California are smoother skinned, and
	> lighter in color.

I always use avacadoes.  Perhaps you could tell me where I could buy these
'guacs'? -:)  As an aside, I like to add a little bit of picante sauce.

--

	Chris Grevstad
	{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!byucsa!chris

	If things don't change they will probably remain the same.