[net.cooks] Indian cookery in America

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/30/85)

Glad to see the new net.nlang.india created. As a non-Indian who has
loved evry variety of Indian food I've had the pleasure to try, I'd
like to direct a request to Indian (or other South Asian) people
now living in the US -- Have you developed any recipes, modifications
to standard American dishes, or variations on your traditional foodstuffs
that use "ordinary" American supermarket ingredients, as opposed to
getting imported or speciality ingredients from import or exotic-food
stores? It's fairly easy to find cookbooks with recipes for the
"real" dishes, using the "correct" ingredients, which are available from
special stores or by mail-order, but I'd love to see what you all have
done with "ordinary" American foodstuffs to make dishes with an "Indian
flavor" or to approach cooking in America from an Indian (or other South
Asian) point of view.

I realize most people doing this sort of thing do not develop "recipes";
they experiment in cooking by trying various combinations of ingredients
and seasonings, and remember and build on their successes. If you don't
have exact amounts or quantities in mind, don't let that discourage
you from contributing your experiences; those of us who want to try this
sort of thing can use our own experience to guide us in following your
descriptions.

Please post any such material to BOTH net.cooks and net.nlang.india.
Net.cooks is where it will be archived and get the widest distribution,
and seeing it in net.nlang.india might help a fellow countryman who is
trying to eat like he remembered but save a few dollars by not buying
expensive imported foodstuffs.

Licking my lips in anticipation,
Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (01/30/85)

	Several Indian families I know in the Baltimore area make
Tandoori Turkey (really!) for Thanksgiving.  You make it just like
Tandoori Chicken, 'cept you start with a turkey.  The turkey meat
tends to fall apart a bit (which isn't really bad anyway), and
it tastes really good.  I was a bit surprised when I first had it.

						-JCP-

larry@cci-bdc.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) (02/01/85)

> 	Several Indian families I know in the Baltimore area make
> Tandoori Turkey (really!) for Thanksgiving.  You make it just like
> Tandoori Chicken, 'cept you start with a turkey.  The turkey meat
> tends to fall apart a bit (which isn't really bad anyway), and
> it tastes really good.  I was a bit surprised when I first had it.
>
> 						-JCP-

could you post the recipe to here or net.cooks?  it sounds really good...

					larry...

(or if you don't think there's enough interest, just mail it to me...)
--
uucp:  ..mit-eddie!cybvax0!cci-bdc!larry

arpa:  henrik@mit-mc.ARPA

This mind intentionally left blank.

raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghunath Ramakrishnan) (02/04/85)

> Glad to see the new net.nlang.india created. As a non-Indian who has
> loved evry variety of Indian food I've had the pleasure to try, I'd
> like to direct a request to Indian (or other South Asian) people
> now living in the US -- Have you developed any recipes, modifications
> to standard American dishes, or variations on your traditional foodstuffs
> that use "ordinary" American supermarket ingredients, as opposed to
> getting imported or speciality ingredients from import or exotic-food
> stores? It's fairly easy to find cookbooks with recipes for the
> "real" dishes, using the "correct" ingredients, which are available from
> special stores or by mail-order, but I'd love to see what you all have
> done with "ordinary" American foodstuffs to make dishes with an "Indian
> flavor" or to approach cooking in America from an Indian (or other South
> Asian) point of view.
>
> I realize most people doing this sort of thing do not develop "recipes";
> they experiment in cooking by trying various combinations of ingredients
> and seasonings, and remember and build on their successes. If you don't
> have exact amounts or quantities in mind, don't let that discourage
> you from contributing your experiences; those of us who want to try this
> sort of thing can use our own experience to guide us in following your
> descriptions.
>
> Please post any such material to BOTH net.cooks and net.nlang.india.
> Net.cooks is where it will be archived and get the widest distribution,
> and seeing it in net.nlang.india might help a fellow countryman who is
> trying to eat like he remembered but save a few dollars by not buying
> expensive imported foodstuffs.
>
> Licking my lips in anticipation,
> Will Martin
>
> USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

this recipe may sound too simple to be exotic, but simplicity, to coin
a modest phrase, is the hallmark of genius (if not cordon-bleu chefs!).

the basic idea is to lightly fry garbanzos with ketchup (that's right)
and picante sauce. it's easiest to use canned garbanzos, but the purist
should settle for nothing less than fresh soaked garbanzos. the
relative quantities of the ingredients are left to divine inspiration,
but a safe bet should be roughly 3-4 tablespoons each of picante sauce
(hot!) and ketchup to a can of garbanzo. just eyeball it, and if it
seems ok, it's ok.

if you like this, a host of picante-ketchup based visions gleam on
the horizon - peas, potatoes and onions lend themselves to this
delightful seasoning. bon appetit, and don't blame the ulcers on me.

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (02/06/85)

In article <> larry@cci-bdc.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) writes:

>> 	Several Indian families I know in the Baltimore area make
>> Tandoori Turkey (really!) for Thanksgiving.  You make it just like
>> Tandoori Chicken, 'cept you start with a turkey.  The turkey meat
>> tends to fall apart a bit (which isn't really bad anyway), and
>> it tastes really good.  I was a bit surprised when I first had it.
>>
>> 						-JCP-
>
>could you post the recipe to here or net.cooks?  it sounds really good...
>
>					larry...
>
>(or if you don't think there's enough interest, just mail it to me...)

        ME TOO...please      clare...

u-reddy@utah-cs.UUCP (Uday U-reddy) (02/06/85)

No recipes here.  Just some tips.  Most of the spices needed in Indian cooking
are available in regular grocery stores except that they may be a little more
expensive than in Indian stores or speciality stores.  However, I think the
more important problem for Americans wanting to try Indian cooking is that
they have to invest too much in spices for only occasional use.  I would then
advise you to disregard the conservative Indian cook books (such as Madhur
Jaffrey) and use general purpose spice mixes such as Curry Powder, Garam
Masala, or Sambar Powder.  The first two at least can be added to almost
anything.  You can go by your own experimentation and taste.  Saute'd ground
beef with Garam Masala and "seasoning saute" (defined below) is a pleasure
and really simple to make.

I disagree with the popular notion that "Indian" cooking consists of a few
speciality dishes like Tandoori, Biryani, Kofta and so on.  Anything you
cook, when added the Indian mix of spices, becomes an Indian dish.  A regular
Indian household does not eat Tandoori, Biryani or Kofta everyday.

Seasoning saute (of South Indian flavour) is made with the following
ingredients, saute'd in any oil in that order.  You can drop everything but
mustard seed, cumin seed and onions, if you please.  Quantities for two people:
	mustard seed (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon)
	cumin seed (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon)

	ginger root (1/4 inch thick) cut in very small pieces
	garlic (couple of cloves cut in very small pieces)
	green chillies (one or two)

	Onion (1 cut in 2mm X 2mm pieces, or halved rings)
	Bell Pepper (1)
You can add this seasoning to any dish (for instance, boiled vegetables)
to make it a south Indian dish (curry). Try adding curry powder, turmeric,
coriander powder, cumin powder (if you have them) and experiment.  Generally
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of any of these in food for two people serves fine.
A couple of tomatoes also add to the taste.

With this approach to Indian cooking, you can make some of the Western dishes
taste Indian.  Sphagetti Sauce (with any vegatables and/or ground beef),
and Cassarole made Indian are a delight and we cook them regularly.

Uday Reddy (u-reddy@utah-20.arpa, harpo!utah-cs!u-reddy)

arora@sunybcs.UUCP (Kulbir S. Arora) (02/07/85)

 > like to direct a request to Indian (or other South Asian) people
 > now living in the US -- Have you developed any recipes, modifications
 > to standard American dishes, or variations on your traditional foodstuffs
 > that use "ordinary" American supermarket ingredients, as opposed to
 > getting imported or speciality ingredients from import or exotic-food
 > stores? It's fairly easy to find cookbooks with recipes for the
 > "real" dishes, using the "correct" ingredients, which are available from
 > special stores or by mail-order, but I'd love to see what you all have
 > done with "ordinary" American foodstuffs to make dishes with an "Indian
 > flavor" or to approach cooking in America from an Indian (or other South
 > Asian) point of view.

  There's a good book by Madhur Jaffrey called "Indian Cooking"  (I got
  it from Quality Paperback Book Club) especially written for a western
  audience.  It gives good substitution hints for expensive exotic
  ingredients.  Also, most of the recipes have been tailored to use
  ingredients easily available in supermarkets.
  I think this book will provide a lot of what you were looking for.

  Enjoy !