[comp.graphics] 3D convex hull algorithms

bergman@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Larry Bergman) (09/14/90)

I'm looking for references/implementations
of 3D convex hull algorithms.  I'm familiar
with 2D algorithms, but not 3D.  I'll
appreciate any pointers.

Larry Bergman

mucke@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ernst P Mucke) (09/14/90)

There is a whole chapter on CH algorithms in

        Herbert Edelsbrunner
        Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry
        (EATC monographs on theoretical computer science; v 10)
        Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1987
        ISBM 0-387-13722-X (US)

where he discusses the Beneath-Beyond Method for d dimesions;
complexity: O (n log(n) + n^D) time and and O (n^D) space, where n
is the number of points and D = floor ((d + 1)/2). An O (n log(n))
Devide-and-Conquer algorithm which works for 3d only is also in there.

Another reference would be, eg,

        Raimund Seidel
        Constructing higher-dimensional convex hulls at log cost per face.
        In Proc 18th Ann ACM Symp, 1986, p404--413.

Here at UIUC, we (Edelsbrunner's group) have also an implementation
of the Beneath-Beyond method.  Send me email, if interested.

--
Ernst Mucke,   Dept of Computer Science,  U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
mucke@uiuc.edu  {convex,uunet}!uiucdcs!mucke  mucke%uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

roger@everexn.com (Roger House) (09/18/90)

In <16029@thorin.cs.unc.edu> bergman@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Larry Bergman) writes:

>I'm looking for references/implementations
>of 3D convex hull algorithms.  I'm familiar
>with 2D algorithms, but not 3D.  I'll
>appreciate any pointers.

Introduction to Computational Geometry, Preparata and Shamos, Springer-Verlag,
NY, 1985 describes a 3d hull algorithm.  A real-world implementation of the
algorithm in Preparata and Shamos is described by Day, A.M., "The Implementa-
tion of an Algorithm to Find the Convex Hull of a Set of Three-Dimensional
Points", ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 9, no. 1 (Jan. 1990), 105-132.

The latter paper is very interesting in that it shows that "[A]s is often the
case with geometric algorithms, the original publication tends to give a
rather concise strategic outline that emphasizes the complexity analysis but
glosses over implementation issues."

						Roger House

buchanan@cs.ubc.ca (John Buchanan) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.193645.4486@everexn.com> roger@everexn.com (Roger House) writes:
>In <16029@thorin.cs.unc.edu> bergman@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Larry Bergman) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for references/implementations
>>of 3D convex hull algorithms.  I'm familiar
>>with 2D algorithms, but not 3D.  I'll
>>appreciate any pointers.
>
>Introduction to Computational Geometry, Preparata and Shamos, Springer-Verlag,
>NY, 1985 describes a 3d hull algorithm.  A real-world implementation of the
>algorithm in Preparata and Shamos is described by Day, A.M., "The Implementa-
>tion of an Algorithm to Find the Convex Hull of a Set of Three-Dimensional
>Points", ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 9, no. 1 (Jan. 1990), 105-132.
>
>The latter paper is very interesting in that it shows that "[A]s is often the
>case with geometric algorithms, the original publication tends to give a
>rather concise strategic outline that emphasizes the complexity analysis but
>glosses over implementation issues."

The flavor of this article is best described by a sentence from the
introductory paragraph, and I quote.

	'For example, experiment has revealed that this algorithm would
	 appear to have worst case complexity O(n^2) and not O(nlogn) as was
	 previously thought.'

This strikes me as a somewhat hesitant result.
|	John Buchanan (juancho)		|	buchanan@cs.ubc.ca	|
|	Imager				|	(604) 228-2218		|
|	Department of Computer Science	|===============================|
|	University of British Columbia	|	Standard disclaimer	|
|	Vancouver, BC, Canada		|	included in this	|
|					|	box, right here.	|