[comp.graphics] Gif to Targa conversion with Piclab: NoGo

jja@kaarne.tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (09/13/90)

Hello!

Has anyone succeeded to convert from gif to targa format with Piclab ?
I have version 1.82 of Piclab, but at least VRIO and Autodesk's Animator
says that files converted are corrupted.

Any other Gif to Targa converters around ?

-jja

Jari 'jja' Ahola      |Tampere University of Technology, Signal Processing Lab
Opiskelijankatu 16A12 |P.O. Box 527, 33101 Tampere, Finland
33720 Tampere, Finland|Tel (intl) 358 31 162708 (work)/358 31 174009 (home)
Puh. 931-174009       |Net address: jja@tut.fi, AHOLA@FINTUTA (BITNET), bix:jja

lee@uport.UUCP (Lee Crocker) (09/19/90)

jja@kaarne.tut.fi (Ahola Jari) writes:

>Hello!

>Has anyone succeeded to convert from gif to targa format with Piclab ?
>I have version 1.82 of Piclab, but at least VRIO and Autodesk's Animator
>says that files converted are corrupted.

Piclab produces correct Targa files.  Other programs may not be able to
read the particular type of Targa file (there are several, like TIFF)
that you are producing.  If you save a Targa immediately after loading
a GIF, it will be an 8-bit color-mapped Targa.  UNMAP will allow you to
save in true-color mode.  In this mode, you may also specify 16-bit, 24-bit
(default) and 32-bit Targas.

--
Lee Crocker, Microport, Inc.   |  "Question authority.  But
lee@uport.uucp                 |  raise your hand first."