[comp.graphics] Wanted: TARGA-->GIF convertor

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (09/13/90)

Since someone replied to my request for a ray-tracer for the IBM PC, I've
picked up the suggested program from alfred.ccs.carleton.ca.  The program
is called dkbtrace.

Anyway, it produces TARGA format output files.  Does anyone know where I can
get a TARGA to GIF (or TIFF, or PIC) convertor?

Thanks in advance,
Neil

--
( )(_)    ( )   Neil Weisenfeld                   | 3900 Chestnut St. #233
( )  (_)_ ( )   Computer Science and Engineering  | Philadelphia, PA

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (09/18/90)

Well, I don't know of a TGA to GIF converter but there are pleanty of TGA to
VGA converters.  Once you have the image converted to VGA, you can easily
convert it to GIF.  I would suggest a program called TEGA by Videotex Systems.

It will convert TGA images to all EGA and VGA resolutions up to 800x600x256.
It saves them out as .PCX files (PC Paintbrush).  From there you can use a
program such as VPIC to convert your images to GIF.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  `It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!' ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

twegner@mwunix.mitre.org (Timothy Wegner) (09/18/90)

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:

>Well, I don't know of a TGA to GIF converter but there are pleanty of TGA to
>VGA converters.  Once you have the image converted to VGA, you can easily
>convert it to GIF.  I would suggest a program called TEGA by Videotex Systems.

>It will convert TGA images to all EGA and VGA resolutions up to 800x600x256.
>It saves them out as .PCX files (PC Paintbrush).  From there you can use a
>program such as VPIC to convert your images to GIF.

The freeware program PICLAB will convert between TGA and GIF and do a lot of
other processing as well.

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (09/21/90)

In article <twegner.653666468@mwunix.mitre.org> twegner@mwunix.mitre.org (Timothy Wegner) writes:
>The freeware program PICLAB will convert between TGA and GIF and do a lot of
>other processing as well.

O.K. now the million dollar question.  How can we get PICLAB if we
don't have FTP?

KEvin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (09/21/90)

Actually, I forgot to mention that VPIC (Shareware?) is supposed to read in
.TGA files and be able to convert them to GIF format.  The version I had of
VPIC (ver 2.4) however, didn't read in the .TGA files correctly.  I believe
there is a more recent version.  Have the problems with reading .TGA files
been fixed?

-- Bob
Does anyone know the latest version of VPIC?

lee@uport.UUCP (Lee Crocker) (09/23/90)

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes:

>In article <twegner.653666468@mwunix.mitre.org> twegner@mwunix.mitre.org (Timothy Wegner) writes:
>>The freeware program PICLAB will convert between TGA and GIF and do a lot of
>>other processing as well.

>O.K. now the million dollar question.  How can we get PICLAB if we
>don't have FTP?

Piclab tends to make its way around to most of the graphics-oriented BBSs
in the country.  The latest version is always available on CompuServe in
the PICS forum.  As a last resort, you could just send me a self-addressed
floppy mailer to:

Lee Crocker
135 Riviera Terrace #416
Los Gatos, CA  95030
--
Lee Crocker, Microport, Inc.   |  "Question authority.  But
lee@uport.uucp                 |  raise your hand first."