[comp.graphics] what is a "*.gl" file

msummers@ub.d.umn.edu (Mark Summers) (09/18/90)

Someone sent me a file with the extension "gl" I think it is an image
file but none of my image readers or importers can identify it.

Can anyone help?

I did notice that the origin of the message was mars.ee.msstate.edu if
that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.

ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) (09/20/90)

> Someone sent me a file with the extension "gl" I think it is an image
> file but none of my image readers or importers can identify it.

.GL files are library files generated GLIB from the GRASP animation package.
They contain the GRASP scripts, fonts, pictures, etc. needed to run the
particular animation wanted. Normally, they are executed with GRASPRT.EXE,
also part of GRASP but distributable with the .GL files.

The most common use of GRASP I've seen is those spiffy demos for VGA cards
that you get when you buy one.

Ed
ekalenda@cup.portal.com

petez@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Peter Zivkov) (09/21/90)

Could be a plotter graphics language file. HPGL is a very common vector graphics
file format.

phil@hpsmdca.HP.COM (Philip Walden) (09/21/90)

Possibly it is in HP-GL format. If it is, it should be ascii with
lots of "PU, PA, PD's". If so, run it into a plotter that accepts
HP-GL.

aceverj@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (09/23/90)

In article <60110004@hpsmdca.HP.COM> phil@hpsmdca.HP.COM (Philip Walden) writes:
>Possibly it is in HP-GL format. If it is, it should be ascii with
>lots of "PU, PA, PD's". If so, run it into a plotter that accepts
>HP-GL.
Nonono (as far as I know). It's a file to be displayed by the
GRASP or GRASPRT program; it's an image or a series of them,
which may be animated.

--
Regards, Jaap.

Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.
aceverj@cc.ruu.nl     +<-*|*->+     I claim *every*thing and speak for myself