[comp.graphics] Looking for DBW_render

aceverj@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (09/23/90)

On my home PC, I've got a working copy of DBWRENDR, a ray
tracing program by David B. Wecker. It produces nice images,
but - naturally - takes hours to days to do it. So, it would
be nice to run the program on the Convex C120 at our site,
which runs Unix BSD 4.2-4.3. I've looked all over the known
places, like the ones mentioned in Eric Haines' ftp sites
list. No success: many DBW's exist, but they either don't
compile or generate a `Floating point exception' when I try to
execute 'em, and die. I'm at a loss, as I don't even speak C
(horrible, eh?). Still, other ray tracers (QRT, DKB) work like
a charm. Any suggestions will be most warmly received .... If
you e-mail me, I'll summarize.
--
Regards, Jaap.

Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.
aceverj@cc.ruu.nl     +<-*|*->+     I claim *every*thing and speak for myself

cgw21008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/24/90)

I had a lot of problems with floating point errors on DBWRender on a PC
because of the mirror parameter- It didn't like mirror to be set above
.85-.9.  Don't know if this is your problem or not, though.

P.S.-  You didn't mention WHY you don't want to use DKBTrace, etc. instead
of DBWRender.

-Chris

aceverj@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (09/25/90)

In article <112100009@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> cgw21008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I had a lot of problems with floating point errors on DBWRender on a PC
>because of the mirror parameter- It didn't like mirror to be set above
>.85-.9.  Don't know if this is your problem or not, though.
>
>P.S.-  You didn't mention WHY you don't want to use DKBTrace, etc. instead
>of DBWRender.
>
>-Chris
(The above was a response to my query for DBW_render for Unix
BSD 4.2-4.3.)
Never tried it out that much yet, I guess - no floating point
problems yet. As for why not wanting to use DKBtrace etc.: I
just got nice images out of DBW_render, so I wanted to try it
out on a bigger, faster Unix system than my lowly 80286-based
PC. The query still is valid: anyone had luck in compiling
DBW_render for Unix BSD 4.2-4.3? The ones I tried either
didn't compile or died with a `floating point exception' when
run.