[comp.graphics] Power Glove

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (03/03/90)

I need the info on interfacing the Power Glove to the Amiga and/or the IBM
- both software and hardware requirements. I missed them when they were
discussed. Please respond if you have these - I need them today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks * 10000000000000000.
Peter Kovach

Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com

ron@vicorp.uu.net (Ron Peterson) (03/14/90)

In article <61002@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:

>I need the info on interfacing the Power Glove to the Amiga and/or the IBM
>- both software and hardware requirements. I missed them when they were
>discussed. Please respond if you have these - I need them today!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Thanks * 10000000000000000.
>Peter Kovach
>
>Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com

   ME TOO!

gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar14.004553.9633@vicorp.uu.net> ron@sunspark.UUCP (Ron Peterson) writes:
>In article <61002@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:
>>
>>I need the info on interfacing the Power Glove to the Amiga and/or the IBM
>>- both software and hardware requirements. I missed them when they were
>>discussed. Please respond if you have these - I need them today!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>Thanks * 10000000000000000.
>>Peter Kovach
>>
>>Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com
>
>   ME TOO!

Okay, sorry about wasting this bandwidth but I just thought I'd mention how
much I HATE articles that consist of a quote of someone else's article, followed
by a "Me too!".  Yech!

                                               - Greg Dunlap
                                               - CSUChico

scotta@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Scott Aldrich) (03/16/90)

>In article <1990Mar15.001142.9407@csuchico.edu> gdunlap@cscihp.UUCP (Gregory L. Dunlap) writes:

>Okay, sorry about wasting this bandwidth but I just thought I'd mention how
>much I HATE articles that consist of a quote of someone else's article, followed
>by a "Me too!".  Yech!
>
>                                               - Greg Dunlap
>                                               - CSUChico

YEAH! ME TOO!
sorry, I couldn't resist :-)

 _   /\  Scott  |**************************************|
 \'o.O'         | "If it doesn't fit, force it.  If it |
 =(___)=  ack!  |  breaks, it needed to be replaced."  |
    U           |**************************************|

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar15.001142.9407@csuchico.edu>, gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) writes:
> >   ME TOO!
>
> Okay, sorry about wasting this bandwidth but I just thought I'd mention how
> much I HATE articles that consist of a quote of someone else's article, followed
> by a "Me too!".  Yech!

Me too :-)

--
                                   ________   _________    _______    ________
                                  / _______|  |  ____  \  |  ___  \  / _______|

anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/15/90)

I just read the article in the July issue of Byte about Data Gloves. My
question is about the side note about converting Mattles Power Glove
for use on the PC. This is something that I would like to try, but
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully
done this. The article gives the brief outline but not any specifics
about what to do after it's all wired up. Any information, tips, or
pointers in the right direction, are appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Andrew Hunt   University of Illinois Press  (anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

u1060@suna3.cs.uiuc.edu (09/16/90)

After reading the July issue of Byte, in particular the article on the
Data gloves, I am excited by what it had to say. I am now trying to
create my own version with the Nintindo Power Glove. I am running into
problems however in the specifics of how to start. The basics of wiring
it up, I haven't a problem with, it is more configureing it to a AT comp.
I would be interested in talking to anyone who has done this. Since I am
not familiar with assembly language, the sample code from Byte only
brought up more questions.
Once again, I would enjoy talking with anyone who has a working Power
Glove and has written code for it.  Thanks in advance.

Andrew Hunt  University of Illinois Press  (anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) (09/17/90)

In article <112100007@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I just read the article in the July issue of Byte about Data Gloves. My
>question is about the side note about converting Mattles Power Glove
>for use on the PC. This is something that I would like to try, but
>I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully
>done this. The article gives the brief outline but not any specifics
>about what to do after it's all wired up. Any information, tips, or
>pointers in the right direction, are appreciative. Thanks in advance.
>

>Andrew Hunt   University of Illinois Press  (anh01033@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

AGE (PowerGlove designers/manufacturers) and VPL (DataGlove designers and
manufacturers) settled their lawsuit as much as 6 months ago, with the
upshot being that VPL will "soon" start selling a PC-attachable low-resolution
HackerGlove for roughly $200. Maybe more, I don't know. Anyway, the bottom line
is that taking apart your PowerGlove so that you can attach it to your PC
may be more trouble than it's worth, since you will "soon" be able to buy
a useful version of the PowerGlove for not too much more than you paid for
the PowerGlove.

Of course, how soon is "soon", that is the question.
--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.ca           Now with new, minty Internet flavour!

jsurine@amo.Wichita.NCR.COM (Jim Surine) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep17.020955.19440@cs.UAlberta.CA> cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chri
>HackerGlove for roughly $200. Maybe more, I don't know. Anyway, the bottom li
>a useful version of the PowerGlove for not too much more than you paid for
>the PowerGlove.

I DO NOT call a price increase of 3-4 times "not too much more". If on the
other hand some useful software fo my particular computer is also include
well maybe?? I still think its kind of a rip off considering the power glove
can do this now but they don't want us to know how :(

--
                                         ____________________________________
j.surine@Wichita.NCR.COM (Jim Surine)   |                                    |

jorice@maths.tcd.ie (Jonathan Rice) (09/21/90)

Can someone tell me if this rumoured computer-compatible version of the
PowerGlove is functionally the same as the current Nintendo version? I mean,
are they essentially the same glove, or are they going to jazz it up a bit
(higher data rate, increased finger flexion/hand position/hand orientation
precision)? You see, I've got a friend on holiday in the U.S. who is going to
try to get me a PowerGlove. Now if this new glove isn't really going to give
me any functional improvement over the old one I don't mind trying to hack
together an interface to my Sun, based on the info in Byte (providing it's
possible :-), but if the new one is going to be a much better product, then
I'll phone my friend right now to cancel the order. By the way, just to ease
my mind, has anyone out there hooked a PowerGlove up to a Sun Sparcstation?

-- Jonathan

Jonathan Rice, jorice@cs.tcd.ie

mark@cs.UAlberta.CA (Mark Green) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep21.100632.20207@maths.tcd.ie>, jorice@maths.tcd.ie (Jonathan Rice) writes:
> Can someone tell me if this rumoured computer-compatible version of the
> PowerGlove is functionally the same as the current Nintendo version? I mean,
> are they essentially the same glove, or are they going to jazz it up a bit
> (higher data rate, increased finger flexion/hand position/hand orientation
> precision)?
>
> -- Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Rice, jorice@cs.tcd.ie

I can tell you what I know the new glove.  The official title of the
product is "VPL/AGE Power Glove (TM) Education Support Program".  The
estimated retail price of the unit is $150->$200.  There will probably
be four interfaces available RS-232, IBM Compatible card, PS/2 and ADB.
There will be 5 degrees of position plus 2 bits per finger.  From the
information I have received it sounds like they are doing a redesign
job, but it will be the same basic glove technology as the Power Glove.
Since an interface is included in the package, its seems like a reasonable
price.

Mark Green,  mark@cs.ualberta.ca