[comp.graphics] PC Graphics and Animation

s881963@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au (Allan MCGHEE) (09/20/90)

Hi,

I would like to get a animation/graphics package for the PC, Mac or Amiga.
I would like something that provides MCGA (or equilivent).

I have looked at the Auto-Animation package, which is very good, but it only
supports VGA etc. Can anyone help me????

Thanks,

Allan F. McGhee

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (09/21/90)

In article <s881963.653802331@otto> s881963@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au (Allan MCGHEE) writes:
>I would like to get a animation/graphics package for the PC, Mac or Amiga.
>I would like something that provides MCGA (or equilivent).
>Can anyone help me????

For low cost, good quality, real time animation, the Amiga is your
best bet, especially if you plan to go to video.  Your question
however is a bit vague. What type of animation are you looking to do?
2D? 3D? Rotoscoping? Cel? Here is a brief rundown on just a couple of
the titles available for the Amiga. If you were impressed by AutoDesk
Animator, you are going to be blown away by some of the following
products:

*Deluxe Paint III - Electonic Arts
      Superb paint-box and animation package. Provides animated 3D
      mainpulations of 2D bitmaps as well more traditional cel
      animation techniques. Allows the creation and use of animated
      brushes. Supports all Amiga graphics modes except HAM. One
      of the most powerful paint-boxes available on any PC.

*Disney Animation Studio - Walt Disney
      2D animation package that provides the look and feel of traditional
      cel animation. On each successive cel, a fainter image of the
      previous cels can be seen to aid in registration and motion timing.
      The animated cels can be played back in any order and synchonized
      to music and sound effects. Also included is a module to add color
      to your 'stack' of cels. Does not use HAM either.

Photon Paint 2.0 - MicroIllusions
      HAM paint-box with 3D effects and 2D animation.

Digi-Paint III - NewTek
      HAM paint-box with 3D effects. Seems a bit more intuitive to
      use than Photon Paint (IMHO).

Director - Right Answers Group
      Script-based package for assembling animations and effects.
      Very powerful and versatile.

Page-Flipper PFX - Mindware Int.
      Sort of like Director with a more friendly user interface.
      Comes with many pre-canned effects (ie. dissolves, wipes, etc)
      many more are possible.

*Animation Journeyman - Hash Enterprises
      Very powerful 3D animation package all based on spline paths
      and sufaces. Excellent for character/organic animation.

*LightWave 3D - NewTek
      The 3D animation software for the soon to be released Video Toaster.
      The animation is not as powerful as Animation Journeyman but has
      one of the best image renderers available on any PC. It comes
      free with the Toaster. Only supports 24 bit color.

The products with '*' are a must see. For video/graphics work, the Video
Toaster is a definate must see! As for MCGA compatible, I not up on the
clone graphics formats. Regardless, one of the above should accomplish
what you are looking to achieve.

Hope this helps.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (09/26/90)

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:

>In article <s881963.653802331@otto> s881963@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au (Allan MCGHEE) writes:
>>I would like to get a animation/graphics package for the PC, Mac or Amiga.
>>I would like something that provides MCGA (or equilivent).
>>Can anyone help me????

>For low cost, good quality, real time animation, the Amiga is your
>best bet, especially if you plan to go to video.  Your question
>however is a bit vague. What type of animation are you looking to do?
>2D? 3D? Rotoscoping? Cel? Here is a brief rundown on just a couple of
>the titles available for the Amiga. If you were impressed by AutoDesk
>Animator, you are going to be blown away by some of the following
>products:

>*Deluxe Paint III - Electonic Arts

>*Disney Animation Studio - Walt Disney

>Photon Paint 2.0 - MicroIllusions

>Digi-Paint III - NewTek

>Director - Right Answers Group

>Page-Flipper PFX - Mindware Int.

>*Animation Journeyman - Hash Enterprises

>*LightWave 3D - NewTek

	*Imagine - Impulse Inc.
		Imagine, is about to be released. It is a 3D raytracing,
	animation package capable of rendering in 24bit. It's predecessor,
	"Turbo-silver" was always the best renderer on the Amiga.
	The new "Imagine" includes a very powerfull modeller and real-time
	editing.

>The products with '*' are a must see. For video/graphics work, the Video
>Toaster is a definate must see! As for MCGA compatible, I not up on the
>clone graphics formats. Regardless, one of the above should accomplish
>what you are looking to achieve.

>Hope this helps.
>|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
>|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
>|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
>|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |

- steve
--
Stephen Menzies
Email: menzies@CAM.ORG